AuthorTopic: GR#112 - Police Car - RPG projection  (Read 10267 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

GR#112 - Police Car - RPG projection

on: November 24, 2012, 10:33:12 pm

Hi guys!

Rip it apart please!

There's still loads to do but I'd like some input to work on stuff. I know I'll add some colors to the palette later on but I just want to make sure the shape is right first.

Thank you!

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Police Car for a Game

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:49:29 pm
If you are unsure about the forms and proportions get a reference. Also think of the viewing angle of your perspective and the distortions it will cause. Since you made clear what you want I want to add my opinion

on the first sight it's definitely readable as a car. But some things which hitted my eyes were the size of the wheels, and the shape-curves of the bonnet and the luggage space are of compared to their inner curve - causes wrong forms. And it seems that the depth seems to be to small too.

I haven't ever studied a car before, so I made a small chart:

First I searched out a reference from goole. I don't know exactly what type of car you are making but in general I think  they aren't looking that different. Since I don't know for sure if it's a 3/4 i cropped the height raster in the comparison. the width to height to depth ratio for a 3:4 perspective is 1:0,75:0,75

The width to height ratio is 1:0,30
The bonnet makes a third part of the width
The luggage space makees a fifth part of the width
A wheel makes ~15% of the width

THe height of the bonnet makes 20% of the length and two thirds of the heigth

and so on...
since a car is man made it's pretty interesting to see where the golden ratios are.

The width of the wheels is too small and there position is also quite off (too much backwards).
The small Details, like the lights are too small
Also some shape details (like the buffer bar at the back) are missing in your drawing - chack this out carefully.

I don't know the level of realism you are striving for, but if you want to have it realistic, also check out the minor (1-2 pixel) proportions issues. But they can also be there because it's simple a different type of car, this is just a suggestion

The big sizes are fitting all pretty well (at least the width, don't checked the height/depth, since but I suppose there are issues as well

I hope my observations help you as well.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:01:10 am
If you are unsure about the forms and proportions get a reference. Also think of the viewing angle of your perspective and the distortions it will cause. Since you made clear what you want I want to add my opinion
I don’t understand the distortion it will cause unfortunately. I used a reference but I couldn’t get one in the perspective I wanted which is why I guess it’s kind of wonky. I don’t understand foreshortening and what it involves.

On first sight, it's definitely readable as a car. But some things which hit my eyes were the size of the wheels, and the shape-curves of the bonnet and the luggage space are of compared to their inner curve - causes wrong forms. And it seems that the depth seems to be too small too.
-Changed the size of the wheels to make them bigger and rounder. Definitely looks better that way.
-Changed the position of the front tire. The rear tire seemed to be at the right place according to your chart. Also looks better that way.

The width of the wheels is too small and there position is also quite off (too much backwards).
I’ve fixed it.

The small Details, like the lights are too small
I’ve fixed that.

Also some shape details (like the buffer bar at the back) are missing in your drawing – check this out carefully.
I had noticed that as well but I’m having trouble drawing the bugger at the back with the perspective bends and twists.

I don't know the level of realism you are striving for, but if you want to have it realistic, also check out the minor (1-2 pixel) proportions issues. But they can also be there because it's simple a different type of car, this is just a suggestion

I think I’ll add the mirrors once the bigger issues have been solved but I will definitely add some.

The big sizes are fitting all pretty well (at least the width, don't checked the height/depth, since but I suppose there are issues as well
Hmm.. could you clarify what you mean by big sizes please, I don’t understand, sorry.

I hope my observations help you as well.
They really did, thanks.

I know the top is super wonky on this version but I'm having trouble.

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:43:10 am
The wonky-ness comes from the roof of the car. It disappears from the viewer's perspective in more of a diagonal path instead of a curved one. By the distortions Cyan was talking, I believe, is the curves of the car. The passenger side of the car has a lot more curve than the drivers side, which completely depends on the model of the car since some cop cars are square-like while others take on a much more round form. But it seem the passenger side is a lot more round than the driver side.

Of course I can be completely wrong about that.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:13:55 pm
With big sizes I meant that you got the basic proporions of the length quite accurate.

1) cubes seen from the side and an angle of 45° - which is 3/4 perspective. You can find tutorials in the general section of the forums. http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=14148.0

2) I searched for a reference for the width of a car,. It seems to be about 45% length.

3.) I drew a ground form of the car, the biggest portion of simplified form I found - It's from the top of the wheels to the plane near above the ground.
I also calculated the foreshortening at  point 2 and drew the length in.

4.) I took the chart from before again and investigated the proportions of the bumps in shape
4.1) the ground plane of the form (lenghts taken from the chart, 4)
4.2) Calculated the heigth of the next form
4.3) Rendered the form

v1 and v2
v1 is in terms of forms better, because the top of the front shield is really messed up in v2 and this is really obvious.
v2 is in terms of proportions much better

4.4 shows the lines which are wonky
4.5 corrects them, but isn't related to the proportion chart and the bufferbars from the explanation before aren't drawn in too and the depth is still messed up too.
although 4.5 reads more as cub and 4.6 more like a truncated pyramide

I hope you got it now  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:19:16 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:18:23 pm
I think I understand most of the things you explained, Cyangmou.  :y:

Here's yet another update:

Rip it apart please.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 02:50:36 pm

I think it's getting better, yes, no?

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:32:41 pm

Feels so lonely around here  :'(.

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:42:53 pm
I don't have much experience with this type of view, so I can't really help much. What I noticed is that the wheels look a bit too small. I changed some colors around a bit too and added some other small things. Here's my edit

The wheels are a bit lopsided, but I just wanted to get the point across.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:07:25 pm
the wheels are indeed a bit to small *horizontally* (imho, from pre-assumed size for the car, the picture measurement ).
Note, though, that they will not have 1:1 proportion between their height and width, as result of the perspective. They'll look somewhat squished.