AuthorTopic: Loof Waterfall - REMAKE  (Read 9544 times)

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: Loof Waterfall - REMAKE

Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 02:37:57 pm
Looks a lot less "squished" with the larger canvas size, so definitely a step in the right direction there :)  I'm just curious though -- how is this a "remake" of that other piece?  While both involve water falling from a high place to a lower place, that's mostly the only similarity I see.  Not that it's a bad thing at all, but I think this stands as more of its own piece than a "remake".

I hope you'll finish and refine this, because some elements of the piece will only look good with polish (the leaves, that brick in the water, and the floating flowers, for a few examples.)  G'luck, will watch for progress!

Offline Super17

• Trick_Siebzehn
    • f.f...
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/34932.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 09:38:32 pm
Yes, it's better. To avoid the "squished look" (don't kow if it's the right term in english), you can crop some elements, so it looks like the image would continue from there.
Like this:

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 11:16:33 am
Looks a lot less "squished" with the larger canvas size, so definitely a step in the right direction there :)  I'm just curious though -- how is this a "remake" of that other piece?  While both involve water falling from a high place to a lower place, that's mostly the only similarity I see.  Not that it's a bad thing at all, but I think this stands as more of its own piece than a "remake".

I hope you'll finish and refine this, because some elements of the piece will only look good with polish (the leaves, that brick in the water, and the floating flowers, for a few examples.)  G'luck, will watch for progress!
the remake is kinda like how I would do it nowdays with a different idea but from the same start ^^.

Super17 :D thankyou for your time ^^ here's the update, I think I get it now  ::)

-> ? ->
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:17:01 pm by philippejugnet »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 07:20:56 pm

I'm not a perspective guru, but the holes of the pots seems off to me.
afaik, at corresponding horizontal positions (i.e. 1/4th of center-to-edge, in both directions), the "circle" should intersect the vertical guides at points that are on the same fading line ...

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 11:18:04 pm

I'm not a perspective guru, but the holes of the pots seems off to me.
afaik, at corresponding horizontal positions (i.e. 1/4th of center-to-edge, in both directions), the "circle" should intersect the vertical guides at points that are on the same fading line ...

Thanks! I have fixed it, I won't post it now because it was the only think I have done different, tommorow I will post updates  :P

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 10:03:00 am
What you are doing now, it seems, is taking whatever you first come across and running with it, refining, rendering and detailing a (mostly) poorly constructed image. I would take a step back if I were you and look at this on a foundational level, really thinking about form in perspective and how the light hits it.

Not much of a sense of scale is shown in the perspective, which seems unplanned, and as PypeBros pointed out the construction is a bit flat and wonky. For perspective, I would recommend an upshot (looking up) for this one if they are large, at least something that looks less "isometric" for the downshot you have now.

As far as composition goes it still looks a bit squished. The easy way out I think is to increase the vertical space above the pots, with perspective in mind.

The other individual objects are rendered nicely and with a suited palette, but in the image as a whole, it looks like details besides the 2 big pots are competing for attention. The water is rendered as if on a very large scale, with the apparent thinness of it and the way it bends straight down. I would expect some curve at this small scale. (small vs big scale refs)

Instead of making a direct edit I sketched out (very roughly and quickly) several thumbnails messing with perspective, lighting, atmosphere, scale etc. just to give you a few ideas of what can be done, and examples of said lighting used to lead the eye. Later on you can have a busy composition but you have to keep the values in mind.

If you aren't going to change this image drastically or make thumbnails of a piece, try it on another sometime, or in the future if you're going to remake this remake. It makes good practice, for me as well as you. Try many different takes on the same idea. If it looks like you've run out of steam you may have to deviate more from the first few tries. Admittedly it's not ideal for the purposes of pixel art, but, if anything, it makes a good reference for the full-scale image.

Keep on practicing! good luck man!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:59:30 am by pistachio »

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 10:37:39 pm
What you are doing now, it seems, is taking whatever you first come across and running with it, refining, rendering and detailing a (mostly) poorly constructed image. I would take a step back if I were you and look at this on a foundational level, really thinking about form in perspective and how the light hits it.

Not much of a sense of scale is shown in the perspective, which seems unplanned, and as PypeBros pointed out the construction is a bit flat and wonky. For perspective, I would recommend an upshot (looking up) for this one if they are large, at least something that looks less "isometric" for the downshot you have now.

As far as composition goes it still looks a bit squished. The easy way out I think is to increase the vertical space above the pots, with perspective in mind.

The other individual objects are rendered nicely and with a suited palette, but in the image as a whole, it looks like details besides the 2 big pots are competing for attention. The water is rendered as if on a very large scale, with the apparent thinness of it and the way it bends straight down. I would expect some curve at this small scale. (small vs big scale refs)

Instead of making a direct edit I sketched out (very roughly and quickly) several thumbnails messing with perspective, lighting, atmosphere, scale etc. just to give you a few ideas of what can be done, and examples of said lighting used to lead the eye. Later on you can have a busy composition but you have to keep the values in mind.

If you aren't going to change this image drastically or make thumbnails of a piece, try it on another sometime, or in the future if you're going to remake this remake. It makes good practice, for me as well as you. Try many different takes on the same idea. If it looks like you've run out of steam you may have to deviate more from the first few tries. Admittedly it's not ideal for the purposes of pixel art, but, if anything, it makes a good reference for the full-scale image.

Keep on practicing! good luck man!
wow, your thumbnails are really good looking! I like them all :D. But I think I went too far with the piece for leaving it incomplete, I can do 2 versions and post them both. Thanks for your time and tips.
update:

ah, and I will post the new one here too.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:32:48 am by philippejugnet »