AuthorTopic: Secret Santa Sign-Up 2012 - Finished!  (Read 86355 times)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Secret Santa Sign-Up 2012 - Finished!

on: November 17, 2012, 08:03:12 pm
Go tell it on the mountain, deck the halls with boughs of holly: it's Santa time!

So what is this Secret Santa stuff anyway?

Everyone involved both gives and receives a gift. Fun! Partners are randomly assigned, and the identity of everyone's benefactor remains a secret until a dramatic reveal on December 24th. Intrigue! Naturally the gifts involved here are pixel art  ;D.

Take a look at previous years' Secret Santa here: 2011 - 2010 - 2009

Taking Part
  • To join this year's Secret Santa post here so I know you want to participate ('count me in' or similar). Please only sign up if you're sure that you'll be to able to complete your gift There are grave consequences for reneging! Specifically, being temporarily banned and not being able to participate in next year's Secret Santa.
  • Double check the information here, specifically the important dates below, so you know to plan in advance if you'll be unable to submit before the deadline.
  • Provide some indication of your likes/dislikes: this is important! you can be very specific or broad as you like, but be aware this is all your Santa has to go by if they don't know you!
  • You'll receive your partner's name via private message (PM), so make sure to check 'em!
  • When you've finished your gift, send it to me by PM also; not in the thread here.
  • Calx, darkgamer, Elk, FierceDeity, Gamecid, Nicko, Partack and Terley may NOT participate this year because they failed to submit a gift last year. Do not let this be you!

Important Dates
  • November 17th~23th - Sign-ups in this period only!
  • November 24th - A PM with your partner's name will be sent out to you, no tellin'!
  • November 25th~December 22nd – Plenty pixellin' time, start early!
  • December 23rd - Very last day to send in your gift!
  • December 24th - Grand unveiling!

PM me if you're confused about anything or have any questions to ask after consulting the FAQ below.

FAQ

What kind of gift do I make?
-Anything you want, just so long as it involves pixel art! Try to tailor it to your partners listed interests, or to them/their work if you're familiar anyway, but any subject you think will be well received is fair game. You can make them a mockup, animations, sprites, textured low poly models; you name it! If you're worried about time, don't overcomplicate things, relax and do what you do best too, for a great present.

But I'm quite likely to be embroiled in some sort of festive revelry around the end of December; can I still take part?
-You can send your gift in as early as you like! The 23rd is the deadline, but submissions will be accepted from the time you receive your partner's name via PM, up until the 23rd. It's not fun to try and rush this stuff leading up to Christmas, getting it done with time to spare is highly recommended ;)

I'm not going to manage finishing my present in time, will I still be banned?
-WIPs will be OK temporarily, but don't let it come to that, or you will get a strike! It's better to have your WIP under the tree than nothing, but please finish afterwards to avoid untold baroque consequences, If you know you won't be able to finish, for whatever reason, let me know ASAP so that something else can be sorted out for your partner.

I think making a present for so-and-so would be really fun, I wish I was their Santa!
-If you finish your present early, you're more than welcome to make gifts for multiple people. Spread the holiday cheer! Just please concentrate on your partner first :y:.

Gift Wrap!

When you send in your gift (ie. not in the comments here) designate one of these wrappings (A1, B5, etc.) or else it'll be assigned randomly. This gift wrapping is what will be displayed on the 24th linking directly to the gift you made.

Alternatively: for mad bonus props, you can provide a custom wrapping along with your gift; in this way you can have a bit of fun teasing the shape, colour, subject matter etc. within. Posting custom wrappings in the comments is encouraged (without revealing it's intended recipient), but make sure to PM it along with your gift as well, or it may not get used.

Read everything? Great! If you sign up below before the 24th Nov you'll be added to this list (allowing ~24hrs for updates) Those who've submitted gifts will get a little Santa next to 'em, also doubtless a pleasant seasonal sense of good-will.

Participants
  • Crow :santastic:
  • adcrusher524 :santastic:
  • Red_Mist :santastic:
  • philippejugnet :santastic:
  • Super17 :santastic:
  • Charlieton :santastic:
  • Juninho :santastic:
  • Drazelic :santastic:
  • Lóng :santastic: :santastic: :santastic:
  • Jeremy :santastic:
  • Carnivac :santastic:
  • Mr. Fahrenheit :santastic: :santastic:
  • hapiel :santastic:
  • Peach :santastic:
  • GetYourGoat :santastic:
  • Basketcase :santastic:
  • beetlebear
  • tomic :santastic:
  • Alanay
  • Mr. Beast :santastic:
  • xhunterko :santastic:
  • Ashkin :santastic:
  • absenter :santastic:
  • Shrike :santastic:
  • ilkke :santastic:
  • MashPotato :santastic:
  • Stwelin :santastic:
  • tim :santastic:
  • Gogglecrab :santastic:
  • Jim16 :santastic: :santastic:
  • Cure :santastic:
  • Opacus :santastic:
  • Sherman Gill
  • Gecimen :santastic:
  • VictorRojo
  • Zizka :santastic:
  • Dex :santastic:
  • Harlequin :santastic:
  • HughSpectrum :santastic:
  • makapuf :santastic:
  • cirpons :santastic:
  • IvanM :santastic:
  • Doppleganger :santastic:
  • crozier :santastic:
  • Batzy :santastic:
  • Riva :santastic:
  • Raster :santastic:
  • Metaru
  • Kcilc :santastic:
  • Argyle :santastic:
  • a3um :santastic:
  • numlock :santastic:
  • Photocopier :santastic:
  • Dr D :santastic:
  • pistachio :santastic:
  • Kren :santastic:
  • Starstew
  • Dusty :santastic:
  • Reo :santastic:
  • Lanarky :santastic:
  • miascugh :santastic:
  • ui :santastic: :santastic: :santastic: :santastic: :santastic:
  • Zccc :santastic:
  • Scarab
  • Life Person :santastic:
  • alex pang
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:59:10 am by Kiana »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Secret Santa 2012 - Sign Up Thread

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:21:45 pm
Well, well, well.. I'm in!

I absolutely love anything related to anime; besides that, I also especially like crows, cats and landscapes. And restricted palettes! But pretty much everything else works as well.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:15:07 pm by Crow »
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:33:19 pm
Hoyyeahhhh! its secret santa! I'm in.

I like animals, nature, fantasy, robots, sprites, Indie and retro games, and everything and anything that you would like to pixel would be fine with me.

This is my favorite part of Christmas :D

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:51:08 pm
Sign me up!

Lets see, I like under water stuffs like the little mermaid or xcom terror from the deep. Movies from the 80's and early 90's  like Short Circuit, Robocop, Goonies, Twister to name a few. I like cute things and dark scary things. I love zombie related stuffs (walking dead and zombie land) I'll take pretty much anything as long as its pixels, just have fun with it!

<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:23:39 pm
I'm inn :DD

Likes list:

forests
dragons
glowing eyes
mountains
fog
temples
half-human creatures
fire
bolts
sorceres
waterfalls
warriors
gates/paths
war

PS: CHALLENGE! pick 7 of them randomly and do you piece :D

style features:

realism
high contrast
fantasy
light rays

:D hehe!!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:55:44 pm by philippejugnet »

Offline Super17

• Trick_Siebzehn
    • f.f...
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/34932.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:36:05 am
Hey guys and gals, I like to participate too!

I like the following: Sexy jungle women, dryads, twisted trees, hard/colored light, barbarians, RPG mockups, non-european instruments, ancient south/latin american cultures
I do not like: Manga/Anime, cuteism, japan related stuff in general

Looking forward to christmas :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:52:42 pm by Super17 »

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:08:54 am
Aw yeah, let's do this! ;D

I really like classic literature, mythology and philosophy. Epics like The Oddysey, the Epic of Gilgamesh, stories from the Metamorphoses (Ovid), or the Nibelungenlied and things of that nature; love that stuff! Also, I'm very fond of all kinds of animals, but especially insects and odd and/or cute birds. Different species of insects often fall into an extremely specific, isolated niche in the ecosystem. Their resulting eccentric and complex life cycles are a constanst source of inspiration to me. For birds, I love the bright and colourful, and majestic plumes or crests.

As for pop culture-stuff, I'm very big on games, and have been since a very young age. Old Nintendo-related stuff is a safe bet, be it Zeldas (favourites are Majora's Mask and Wind Waker), Marios or Metroids etc. Also Pokémon, ha! Love me some shmups, too. With lots of bullets, lasers and aircrafts, or mechs and spaceships (Cave, Raizing and Irem are the greats!). Recently though, I've been very into Shin Megami Tensei-games, favourites being the Digital Devil Saga and Persona 4 (fave character: Kanji! Really though, I like them all). Fighting games are sweet too. I'm a fan of the King of Fighters-games (Vanessa is the most badass woman in any fighting game I've seen - possibly only outmatched by Baiken from Guilty Gear!). In Street Fighter 2 and 4 I main as Blanka. 3rd Strike is great too!

Well, that should be plenty to pick and seek inspiration from! ;)

Now I'm really looking forward to creating something cool to give to YOU, whoever you might be! 8)
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Juninho

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 01:29:10 am
Sign me on that , I will update with the things I like  :)

I like  soccer , video-games (all) , western things , dogs , war , I think only that is good
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:18:20 pm by Juninho »

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 03:09:32 am
I signed up specifically to get in on this. Should be fun!

I really like mechas, super robots, pilotable humanoid techno-knights of the future, etc. Some specific series which I think have REALLY cool designs are Gurren Lagann, Five Star Stories, Linebarrels of Iron, Zone of the Enders, and Star Driver. One of my favorite motifs is that of mechanical versus organic designs- I love seeing the two interplay with mechanical traits and organic traits fusing, or mechanical designs emulating organic shapes and styles. My preference for character design definitely trends towards the unrealistic or fantastical, favoring more anime-esque designs over realistic or historically accurate equipment. Lots of glowy stuff, too.

Mockups are cool. Boss battle scenes are even cooler. I'm a big fan of strategy games, puzzle games, and platformers- games where I don't have to keep moving, where there's relatively little pressure. (Competitive games like COD aren't my thing, they don't let me relax and unwind.)

Offline Lóng

• Sometimes the scary spider is just a pile of dust.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 12:34:48 pm
I'm in,

To whomever gets to pick me, draw whatever you feel like drawing, if possible draw something you haven't drawn before or attempt an approach you haven't attempted before, just make sure its not isometric, as I have an unfounded repulsion against that. On the other hand if you were to draw something isometric precisely for that reason, I would probably just look at it and smile or downright laugh wholeheartedly .So I guess that means anything goes. It is mandatory to have fun in the process though! :lol:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:56:46 am by Lóng »