AuthorTopic: Animaki 2 (beta) is out  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Roel

• View Profile

Animaki 2 (beta) is out

on: November 01, 2012, 01:20:16 pm
Hello everyone!

A while ago I posted a message here about Animaki, a browser-based pixel art animation program. Now, one year after version 1 was created, I am proud to announce Animaki 2. It's still a beta, so there are some things I know I need to fix, but nevertheless it's already a big improvement over the last version.

One of the new - and as far as I know, unique - features is skeleton mode, which allows one to quickly create and test motions before getting to the actual pixel work. Other new features include multiple undo, non-rectangular selections, the use of selections as a mask, and autosave.

Here's a picture of the new skeleton mode:

Here are some example animations made with Animaki:

The program has been tested in Opera, Firefox and Chrome. It might also work in other browsers, but it does not work in IE.

You can give it a quick test run here: http://www.oekaki.nl/animakidemo.html (no installation or plug-ins required)

Please note that uploaded animations will only appear on the website after being approved by a moderator. Quick/sloppy tests won't be approved. If you want to save your work as an animated gif of animated png, consider registering an account on http://www.oekaki.nl/.

I hope you will enjoy Animaki and I look forward to your comments.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:27:13 pm by Roel »

Offline redcodefinal

• View Profile

Re: Animaki 2 (beta) is out

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:30:45 am
Well this is cool. Good work!

Offline HardcoreBadger

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:57:26 pm
i checked the tutorial and so you draw the skeleton then you move it, you see if it's smoothly animated and then you redraw your character following the new skeleton ?

is that how it work ?

Offline Roel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:08:59 pm
That's the idea. Of course the use of a skeleton is merely optional, but it can be a great help especially for those who have trouble making smooth or expressive animations.

Offline HardcoreBadger

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 06:23:25 pm
yes it's a nice tool, i use the same technique on paper

also, when you press shift you can draw a line from the last dot, but if you press ctrl + z and then you try to draw a line, the line will be created at the last dot which have been erased by the ctrl + z, it's quite confusing (in gimp it takes the last pixel "alive", not the pixel which has been undone)

i hope it's nderstandable

it looks like this tool exists for a long time so what i said above is certainly useless ^^

Offline Roel

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 07:02:22 pm
It's understandable and far from useless! Your feedback is appreciated and the error will soon be fixed. :)

Offline HardcoreBadger

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:44:18 pm
also i dont speak NL but i found where to register,

the only way to save your work is to register, login and update the picture (then save as) ?

it looks really interesting, but i didn't test it a lot, can you tell if its possible to import a picture ? i'd like to draw from my detailed sketches I scanned. I have to resize them before then copy and paste ? which size ?

Offline Roel

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 08:05:49 am
also i dont speak NL but i found where to register,

the only way to save your work is to register, login and update the picture (then save as) ?

Yes, I think you got it. Any works started by registered users can be re-opened after saving. However, once an image or animation is published, it can no longer be edited (unless a moderator sends it back to the user).

it looks really interesting, but i didn't test it a lot, can you tell if its possible to import a picture ? i'd like to draw from my detailed sketches I scanned. I have to resize them before then copy and paste ? which size ?

Unfortunately it is not possible to import a picture. It's been a policy of that particular website for over 10 years not to allow users to upload images. This guarantees that all images posted are the users' own works. But since Animaki seems to be gathering interest as a useful tool for pixel artists, perhaps it's time to revise that policy. In any case, pasting images will probably never be possible because for security considerations, this is simply not supported in Javascript.