AuthorTopic: Turf Guidance needed  (Read 1996 times)

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

Turf Guidance needed

on: November 06, 2012, 10:37:20 pm
Alright so I'v been trying to ease up on the details and I'm not very good with turfs so the most simplistic look is what I'm shooting for. Here is all the variations of Dirt tiles I worked on the squares are 2 by 2. So far my personal favorite is the second row middle section.

Here's the different grass tiles.

Small Mock up.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:54:04 pm by DannyIsAHippy »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Turf Guidance needed

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:43:57 pm
Your problem is atm that you are working with too much outlines, while your whole textur looks really busy. The only version which has a bit of volume is the third line middle position try.
Atm your turf looks also more like a bunch of small round stones. You can change this if you are cluster more of the single planes together and work with bigger shapes to simplify the forms drastically.

It's possible to add material structure with just 2 colors, the secret is the design of the line where the 2 colors hit together. It's possible to simplify grass down to a spiky line and mud to a line made out of some circle segemnts. By adding some additional single forms you can make a smother gradient.

look which styles other games used. this is a completely different approach with just some raw forms of color.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter