AuthorTopic: The Future Of Pixel Art  (Read 37161 times)

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: The Future Of Pixel Art

Reply #40 on: June 23, 2006, 04:01:15 pm
I wonder if it will come that far. Take a look at this analogy. Our (human, I hope) race has been developing social and intellectual knowledge since the Age of Enlightment (and before, of course). We have discovered many facts in the natural science, invented many tools to enhance the existing problems. However, with the arrival of all that information, teachers are still teaching abcdefg in primary schools. Kids don't learn about DNA till their teenage years (; in some countries perhaps never). Also, artists still work with pencil and paper.
I think that at some point, technology has won the race against human development (some call this evolution). We are just facing against the bounderies of human adaption.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:11:31 pm by Lick »
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: June 23, 2006, 04:28:46 pm
the best praise i typically recieve is 'wow, that looks so good, like it has way more colors' or 'wow, i cant believe its pixelled, that must have taken forever'.  i think this reflects the general attitude towards pixelart as being slow and low-quality.  im not saying thats true, but it does reflect what i think is the general public opinion.  even i was like, 'wtf?' when i saw the newest samurai showdown.  i thought they were going to say it was for the gba or ds or something and then they say xbox 360?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #42 on: July 04, 2006, 05:06:43 am
3D moves better, but it doesn't look better. It offers more flexibility and adapts to envirnoments more easily, but ultimately any single image being output by a 3D engine could probably be pixelled better by the hand of a talented artist. Pixelling isn't about mindless color and size restrictions, it's about squeezing the absolute most detail, style and meaning out of each pixel. And methodical, manual pixel manipulation always has the potential to look better than automated pixel output.

- Adam

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #43 on: July 04, 2006, 10:48:00 am
When I read your post adam, I agree that a still image could be done better by a talented artist. But I dont see how that necesarily implies pixel art.

this is another thing, how is it that using little tools has been asociated with pixelart? it is as if most people just see it as drawing pictures with MS Paint, I belive it is more about controlling every color shift precisely, knowing how to be selective about detail and also knowing how to use composition to enhance readablity.

That does not imply using little tools, or putting every pixel in manually.

I belive tools as useful as the many alpha blending tools we use on photoshop can be done in pixelart if in place of Alpha Blending we used 1-more advanced pallete data that recognizes diferent color ramps and equivalent tones between them 2-Color cycling that took advantage of this.

The idea is pretty much a photoshop oriented to direct control over each tone used in the picture.....I cant see why nobody imagines higher end tools for pixelart, and I also cant see why it's only seen as an oldschool art style, I belive it has principles that are potentially more poweful than those of the current high-end digital drawing software.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: July 04, 2006, 11:28:10 am
Heh, Conc.. ehh... I'm just gonna call you Camus, alright?

Remember Locust from Pixelation? He made airbrushed Photoshop pieces on pixel level... That looked insanely sweet.
Whatever happened to him?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #45 on: July 04, 2006, 11:37:13 am
yeah, call me whatever you feel like, I just like it as a display name :p

I dont actually, must have missed that.....either that or it didnt impress me as much as it did you.

but my point was more like, a program based on those principles I see as fundamental to pixelart would be a better tool than photoshop....I'm not really saying let's make sprites with photohsop

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: July 04, 2006, 11:42:36 am
Yeah, of course, you just reminded me of him. I'm not surprised if you don't remember, he didn't actually stay for very long. I only recall two pieces he made. I think he was from Sweden.. and he might've spelled Lokust with a K... Eh, whatever.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 01:41:41 pm
As long as computer screens use pixels we will all be here for years to come.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 02:24:15 pm
Commercially, games with pixelled graphics are dying down commercially, but they will never fully die. It'd be impossible, unless forums like these stopped existing, and all knowledge of old 2d video games disappear. As long as classic 2d games and old systems are still in memory, people will always be making 2d games. There just won't be as many sold.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 02:28:05 pm by GOODNIGHTdestroyer »
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #49 on: July 04, 2006, 03:40:09 pm
Commercially, games with pixelled graphics are dying down commercially, but they will never fully die. It'd be impossible, unless forums like these stopped existing, and all knowledge of old 2d video games disappear. As long as classic 2d games and old systems are still in memory, people will always be making 2d games. There just won't be as many sold.

Those who grew in the retro days, will never forget!