AuthorTopic: The Future Of Pixel Art  (Read 37143 times)

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Re: The Future Of Pixel Art

Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 12:53:26 am
I did have my hopes up for the portable department, but technology is becoming so advanced that they can run 3D games now (DS. PSP). Cellphones are even able to run 3D games now, which is hard for me to believe. Back then, we only used pixel-art because of limitations, so apparently, when it is used now, it must be for visually artistic purposes. As long as the companies that put artistic value into their video games and that are willing to risk their sales to express themeselves stay in business, then pixe-art will continue to exist. As technology advances, pixe-art looks older than it already is in comparison. The masses don't want to see square, flat graphics and hear bleeps, and bloops, the masses want to play games that push the limits of technology; they thrive on realistic visuals, not artistic visuals. This whole idea of making video games to look so realistic is turning them into simulations more than works of art.

Also, indie gaming always contributes a large amount to pixel-art, now-a-days (although, i'm not sure if that department is growing or shrinking).

EDIT: I guess I fell a little offtopic, but you know what I mean. Pretty much what vierbit has said.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:58:27 am by Darion »
@darionmccoy

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 01:03:20 am
the Indiestry is constantly growing and shrinking, thats kinda how it works.  i think generally though its growing as developement becomes more accessible.  indie people start in their basements then get hired by big companies.  im not saying its a minor-league industry....but....well....its a minor-league industry.  hopefuls enter, and then leave rich or broke.  very few stay so its hard to keep track

pixel art, now that i think of it, may well die.  2d art istic games wont, but pixelart? probably.  even cellphones will be able to have so many unique colors that pixel will be replaced by hand drawn and cg and 3d together.

i cant believe though that people would choose to put say, a 3d rpg on a cellphone instead of doing traditional pixel art (is there such as thing as traditional pixel art? i guess i mean old-school since traditional = real)

</ramble>
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #32 on: June 23, 2006, 03:44:59 am
The main hope I have in pixel art lies in communities like this, of people who, although work on games, also do pixelart purely for the fun of it.  There are people (like myself) who are doing pixel art and aren't getting paid, so I'm confident that there will be people who won't "sell out" as soon as pixel art becomes defunkt.

Perhaps there is hope that pixel art will appear somewhere else.  You are all focusing on the cell phone and GBA/DS as the only places pixel art is found.  What if there's another gadget that comes along that requires pixel art?  I'm sure the artists in the time of the SNES weren't counting on cell phones as a place to practice their craft.  Perhaps in the future we'll be doing pixel art for wristwatches, who knows.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006, 04:35:08 am
I've been a little hesitant to mention this, but I believe I have a solution to this problem.
I've thought about this issue last year and came up with a practical solution, but the only thing is that I would need a talented coder who is willing to put in the time and effort to program it and also enjoys pixel-art.

I would think it be hard to find a talented coder who also has a great interest in pixel-art and be completely devoted to the idea, and that's mainly the reason why I placed the concept on the backburner.
Since this topic came up, I feel it necessary to mention this incase there are any capable coders reading who want to do something about it.

edit: I'd also like to mention that though the concept was aimed towards pixel-art, it also has the capability for other things as well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:40:30 am by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 05:25:15 am
I've been a little hesitant to mention this, but I believe I have a solution to this problem.
I've thought about this issue last year and came up with a practical solution, but the only thing is that I would need a talented coder who is willing to put in the time and effort to program it and also enjoys pixel-art.

I would think it be hard to find a talented coder who also has a great interest in pixel-art and be completely devoted to the idea, and that's mainly the reason why I placed the concept on the backburner.
Since this topic came up, I feel it necessary to mention this incase there are any capable coders reading who want to do something about it.

edit: I'd also like to mention that though the concept was aimed towards pixel-art, it also has the capability for other things as well.

Well are you going to tell us what it is or do we have to guess :P
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #35 on: June 23, 2006, 05:50:51 am
well, I like to keep my ideas under wraps because I find most of them could be profitable.
If this concept of mine is ever made to the full vision I see it as, it could help or hurt pixel artists. Though as pixel-art seems to be declining in the business world, this idea could only be good if you want to see more pixel art around maybe. It certainly would put more dynamicness into it.

Essentially, the concept is to put a 2d vector texture map(this would be like a 2d bitmap texture map used in texturing 3d models, only this would consist of vectors) onto a 3d model. You'd be capable of defining attributes of each vector(similar to vector programs where you can choose for instance the style of borders of shapes), and these attributes control things like anti-aliasing, colors, palette limitations, dithering, and anything else related to pixel-art. This 2d vector texture map then gets wrapped onto a 3d model, and the viewer engine reads it and displays the 3d model as a pixel image based on the attributes of the vectors which are in view.
The vectors in the texture can add attributes to them and you can prioritize them and tie them in with outher vectors in how they mesh together and such.
The end product is you have a 3d model that looks like 2d pixel art.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: June 23, 2006, 06:46:21 am
All though I don't really under stand what your saying there Alex, I'm sure its a very good idea.

On the topic of 3D and 2D. I think Ragnarok is a good example of successfully combining the 2.

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #37 on: June 23, 2006, 07:06:13 am
And with reason, 3D looks just better if done well...

Better? At what? At representing reality? That's not what pixel art does, only. There's no better, there's different. 3d WILL be the thing to use for the industry, it already is on higher specs, it will become the norm for handhelds too, eventually. But style-wise, there is no better. Your opinion that it looks better is just that, your personal opinion based on your aesthetic sense. Do not mention it as if it's an objective truth.

About pixel art's decline and fall in the industry, the golden years are already behind us, they've been behind us even long before most of you took up a mouse to pixel for the first time, I don't care if the eclipse soon will be total, as I don't pixel for the industry but for myself. As long as there's amateur interest, I'm happy.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: June 23, 2006, 08:13:17 am
There is no way that pixelling will die out.  I love the way every thing can turn out so precise, so...full of effort.  I usually buy a station for the games on it which have good gameplay, and a replay factor.  I don't want an Xbox 360 at all, because it represents the evil of exploring too far without looking back.  I will always play my SNES. 

Just my 2 cents. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: June 23, 2006, 08:56:26 am
There is no way that pixelling will die out.  I love the way every thing can turn out so precise, so...full of effort.  I usually buy a station for the games on it which have good gameplay, and a replay factor.  I don't want an Xbox 360 at all, because it represents the evil of exploring too far without looking back.  I will always play my SNES. 

Yes but the I doubt the average consumer feels that way. I  see pixels dieing commercially and then more slowly as a hobby.
the one safe haven i think pixel art will find is really the internet. as pixel art is one of the only art mediums where you can easily have large or small pixel collaborations. (iso or otherwise)

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!