AuthorTopic: The Future Of Pixel Art  (Read 37139 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: The Future Of Pixel Art

Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 05:13:01 pm
they really need to standardize the screen resolutions. there's nothing i hate more than to have to create multiple sizes of the same work.

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 05:14:22 pm
Interest theme.

personally I dont think 2d graphics in games will die.
I think that pixelart will be disappear in comercial games sometime in the future
handhelds and cellphones are at moment a last place for pixelart.
But in the future even these things have hi res screens and much more memory.

Pixelart has the abillity to show high amount of information on a few pixels.
when you have hi res screens you can take prerendered graphics rather then pixelart.
You can make prerendered graphics faster then pixelart.

I agree that pixelart is a style but the casual gamer is not interestet in style
If he sees big fat pixels on his psp3 he freaks out and trow in the new gta8.

Its all about economy, companys will make money.
Its pity but that is the reality IMO.

But in the hobby gamedevs is always a place for pixelart.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 08:25:06 pm
Pixelart has the abillity to show high amount of information on a few pixels.
when you have hi res screens you can take prerendered graphics rather then pixelart.
You can make prerendered graphics faster then pixelart. 

Point - But you'll always have a nice little easter egg in a game somewhere showing a company's retro roots.  ;)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 08:27:33 pm
I really think celphones will be the first platform to abandon 2d games.. I just dont see much... loyalty if you will to 2d gaming and as soon as the resolution standard is bigger and more capable technically, I think 2d games will completely be phased out.

but, I cant remember where I read it exactly, but an interview with miyamoto and he said he doesnt want the next gameboy to be very powerful because he wants most games to be 2d. and I dont think capcom will drop making streetfighter in 2d, same with metal slug
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 08:31:50 pm
I really think celphones will be the first platform to abandon 2d games.. I just dont see much... loyalty if you will to 2d gaming and as soon as the resolution standard is bigger and more capable technically, I think 2d games will completely be phased out.

but, I cant remember where I read it exactly, but an interview with miyamoto and he said he doesnt want the next gameboy to be very powerful because he wants most games to be 2d. and I dont think capcom will drop making streetfighter in 2d, same with metal slug

1 - Because mobile phones were not built or designed for games, just a handy extra - pixels only provide the simplest form of a game with very little memory used, and as soon as they can advance - they will.
2 - That's why you gotta love Capcom. Founded on that style, the 3D EX series of Street Fighter was even boycotted by some fans, it just wasn't the same and that of SF3 and it's two additional games after that were hits. There's no way aswell people would consider Metal Slug as anything but sprites.. though, cracks at getting these types of games on new gen consoles have been rather poor - sticking to 'Nintendo' based or handheld consoles are the best bet.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 09:00:54 pm
I don't see cell phone games becoming too complicated unless the controls for playing become more gamer friendly. From my experience, the controls have a big significance on how the games are made. As far as I know, you can only press one button at a time for most cell phones.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 09:35:56 pm
people are making the assumption that resolutions are simply going to continue to get smaller and better, but the fact is that there are very real physical limitations with cellphones regarding screen size, and even when clean 3d resolutions become accessable i tihnk much of what goes on will favor pixel art for its clarity.  i could be wrong but i doubt it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 05:23:14 am
hmmm..
so this is my thought

as the hardware got better so did the capabilities/limits on pixels. pixels used to only be able to be in a few colours, or were 2pixels wide, sprite sizes could only be specific sizes, etc.
now there really arnt limits placed on pixels. Can make tiles/sprites any size. animations any length, can use as much colours as you want.
so, as the hardware got better, the pixel you could say, evolved or progressed.

Now we have new capabilities that seem to be threatening pixelart.

so this is my thought. just an idea, so dont get grumpy if you dont like it
what about furthering the pixel again?
I have 2 thoughts about this

1) we can convert pixels to vector (iv tried) and by doing that you can change the size, skew, rotate, transform, etc without adding in new colors like in CG. When it is vector, you have still placed every pixel where you want it, and still desgined it regularily, but now you are able to manipulate it to how you want.
This will make it easier to perhaps, make perspective and such

2) not sure about this one... but i dont see why not.
What about applying pixels to 3d? either build it up like lego somehow, or make a style like cellshading so that it looks like pixels.
I believe that some of the things in golden sun, and i think super mario rpg(snes) were made 3d and then put into the game. So what if used those same tactics and made an actual 3d game. still looks like pixel (such as super mario rpg) but then would have the ability of a 3d game.

so, im not entirely sure about those concepts,
but what i guess im trying to say is that, would 'evolving' the pixel be something worth looking into, since it kind of has in the past.
just thoughts

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 05:40:55 am
number 2, you mean a shader package or whatever its called that would make 3d models look like pre-rendered sprites? :-X
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 06:44:46 am
As Adarias said, the screen sizes are the real limitations (as well as the friggin controls, tried playing an platformish game on your phone? or any game that requires two buttons at once? heh..)

The screens are just too small to see pixels... can't really enjoy the pixelwork.. and now screen resolutions are increasing from QVGA (240x320) -> VGA (480x640), which is a valid upgrade.. things do look sharper, less jaggies.

As phones get more powerful, most games will end up being 3d games I reckon with 3d/CG art.

If more screens increase to 480x640.. I personally don't want to be pixelling at those sizes. (Though 240x320 is perfect).
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins