AuthorTopic: The Future Of Pixel Art  (Read 37136 times)

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

The Future Of Pixel Art

on: June 20, 2006, 07:39:00 am
I am writing this as i think it is a issue involving pixel art that, at least in my mind, needs addressing

Pixel art is basically a medium used to represent things using as little information as possible while still looking good. in the past, this was a necessity for games, as the machines they ran on could not process very much information. but with the gaming industry so large and with technology advancing so rabidly it worries me, will pixel art still be around in 10 years? at least not commercially. at best i think it will mearly turn into a hobby for the dedicated few before fading completely.
The pixel art industry is relatively strong at the moment, as most mobile phones are currently unable to process very complicated things. but how long will this last? with the rate that technology is advancing it doesn't look too hopeful.
So what future does pixel art hold?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this subject.

(sorry for bad grammer and spelling)

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: The Future Of Pixel Art

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 07:59:33 am
I dont think theres much to worry about, nowadays some games are 2d just for style reasons, not technical limits, theres still a healthy amount of 2D DS and psp games when they couldve easily been 3d.
2d games will be around for a long time, even the wario ware game for the Wii is 2D and the wii is a step into virtual reality. nothing to worry about
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 12:47:47 pm
I don't agree TakaM, the number of pixel art games on consoles halves every year, there'll be none left soon.

As I see it DS will still have a lot of pixel art, but the next one probably won't. Cell phones is where it's at though, it will still take ages before those can do without pixel art.

If it dies out, so what? We all just switch to something new, like 3D animation.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 01:32:06 pm
2d games will remain around for a long time especially in the rpg genres i think because they have the ablity to be much more stylish than chepa 3d like the DS and PSP are capable of. once handhelds and cell phones get good at 3d though (like,xbox good) then pixel art games will most likely die out except where low-resolution screens still dominate (which will be things like cellphones and the gba if it sticks around)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:36:15 pm
Pixel art is a style. It won't die. There are still many applications that trigger pixel art like icons, web layouts and so forth.
2D games are a genre. To be more specific, they form the retro-genre. This genre is very popular among independent game developers.

Don't overthink it. It might be reduced but it will never vanish.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 01:37:55 pm by Lick »
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 02:15:32 pm
Pixel art is a logical extension of the fact that pixels are in fact quite large. This means that pixel art will eventually die out on any medium with a high enough resolution. And with reason, 3D looks just better if done well...

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 02:22:41 pm
Just when you start to believe that Pixel art will remain, in such handheld consoles like the Nintendo DS..we get serious advancements, turning 3D away from pixel art, from previous consoles.. You can see this suttle change as early as the Snes.

It's a shame, but inevitable, will 'die'. Of course there will be those who keep 'it alive' as they like the style and what not.. but with Moblie/Cell phone games, Pixel art is in their best interest, though at this rate, they will advance fairly quickly also.

:'(

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 03:34:53 pm
these discussions always make me depressed :F

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 04:12:10 pm
i see pixel art as living forever in the mobile markets because they cannot make a screen much larger than it is already, and there are physical limitations to resolution etc on screens that size, making pixel art very attractive for...well as long as people cary mobiles (which will most likely be decades at least)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 05:03:51 pm
Pixel art is a logical extension of the fact that pixels are in fact quite large. This means that pixel art will eventually die out on any medium with a high enough resolution. And with reason, 3D looks just better if done well...

I'm not going to carry a 15 inch handheld y'know. So if the resolution grows but the screensize stays small, pixel art magnified will still look good.

[edit] Hehe.. I meant 'I agree with Adarias!'..  ::)
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.