AuthorTopic: GR#121 - Cartoon RPG - Gameart  (Read 25590 times)

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Cartoon RPG [C+C]

Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 12:50:55 pm
One thing that looks confusing are the sloped roads, it is hard to tell whether they are going up or down just from looking at them. Even though I can still figure it out using other cues (like the grass from the cliffs above), I keep instinctively reading it wrong.
I think the reason for that is that the markings on the road remain the same (vertical) size; I'd expect that the angle between me (the viewer) and the sloped roads would be flatter or more acute than the angle to the flat roads (depending on whether they are going "up" or "down") and so I'd expect the vertical distances to expand or compress accordingly.
^
||
NOOB

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 01:48:08 pm
You should try to limit your colors, don't add any unnecessary shading.
I think for rocks for example is a step back, the previous ones works much better with the cartoon style.

If you can draw something with just a few shades it will be easier for the viewer too. Force yourself to simplify shapes and really think about the depth.
Also, exaggerate the sizes, it's hard to tell the shape of the stairs when it's just a few pixels for each step.

I had another go at it, a lot of experimentation and I don't think everything in there worked out..
But you should look closely at the house on the left and how I added a bit more depth by offsetting the beams.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 12:51:55 am
Great job with the trees & drop shadows :y, I think the rooves could cast a little shadow on the walls too (I sometimes squint at a scene to try and get an sense of form unbiased of detail)

Nice bunch of tweaks Seisenki :y: much nodding. On exaggeration: if you're lending so much weight to the head of the character it makes a lot of sense to apply similar priorities to the environment eg, nice big chunky leaves, grass blades etc.

I think the lighter slope looks good being brought more consistent tonally with the light cliffs; bringing the lightest cliff colour down to the road would work too. I noticed you 'unforeshortened' the road markings but not the paving slabs, heh :P.

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 10:33:25 pm
So some I made some adjustments to things. I think some of the textures on stuff like rocks and trees was getting away from the simplistic style I wanted so I scaled things back.

Seiseki, your edit had some nice adjustments, I incorporated a few. While the character makes more sense perspective wise in your edit, I kind of prefer the flatness and expression of mine.

anywho, here's where I stand at the moment. Any thoughts?

Small Update: I was fooling around with the shadows some more and I think I'm liking things more centralized.

I found a few references for myself, Mario @ Luigi superstar Saga is very close to what I'm trying to achieve, so I'm going to reference the shadows for that. http://vgmapper.com/SysGBA/M/MarioandLuigiSuperstarSaga.html
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:23:28 am by Free Camera »

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 04:45:18 pm
So! I'm finishing up with exams so I finally have time to work on this more. I've taken things in a slightly different direction, going with chunky outlines. I've included a couple sprites and their previous iterations in the older style. I personally like that I can fit more details in this new way. Also, as you'll notice, the game is now side-view. Thoughts?

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 07:03:28 am
The old one was looking excellent, and developing lots of character. This new one merely looks mediocre. With work it could look as good, but I would think twice about abandoning the old one.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 02:01:29 pm
I agree with NaCl, the old version was way better...  :)

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 06:23:00 pm
With better color choices it can look much better, especially if you get rid of this terrible blue outline. Just make the outlines slighter darker than the object itself, and adapt the outline color for each object.

Steps :

But anyway I agree, the old mockup was MUCH more appealing.
There was a feeling of a rich world full of places and people.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:25:39 pm by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 07:06:57 pm
I appreciate the feedback. I like the new style better myself, but I can see the weaknesses you've discussed. I'm gonna take another stab at it, hopefully it will be more convincing.

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 10:41:43 pm

Well, I decided to take another stab at the more 16x16 style, this time using the images above as a basic starting point. I gave myself a slightly more limited palette. I'm still working at it, for example the cliffs are very wip.

It's a little more traditional RPG styled. Still unsure as to how to style the characters. I've shown two different takes in this image (As well as an older character for reference). Any preferences?