AuthorTopic: Jinn, the Dragonclaw  (Read 10562 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Jinn, the Dragonclaw

Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 05:04:38 pm

Beetleking: She's climbing while grabbing a statue, not fighting a monster.

I see...It is pretty confusing.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 07:04:00 pm
What do you want to learn from each piece you do?  You seem to be stagnating with your work, as every single piece gets the same criticism, yet you continue the workflow with the exact same steps.  You won't get anywhere doing that. 
I've said it before, but for your next piece you should:

start at a normal to small size like 150x150. 
Neglect all signs of detail until you have been given the foundational pass of approval.   :hehe:

I know I'm a nag and not really skilled enough to give valid criticism, but I am observant enough to see what you need to do to begin to improve.  You need to study fundamentals such as anatomy, start smaller.  Remember ambition is not always in size.  Challenge yourself to make the cleanest, sharpest, most pixel proficient small piece you can.  Work slower.  Don't go into detailing your piece until first you have established a foundation as has been stated many times, and think more artistically instead of technically.  Give your pieces life, emotion, soul.  You have it in you.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:07 pm
Aw man, what the hell happened to photobucket? :sry:

You're drawing this at a pretty tricky angle. Like Helm said you have an eye for anatomy, but it also looks like you just eyeballed it here. The whole figure looks skewed. A sketch, proper sketch with measurements, would help you avoid that.

If you rotate it about 40 degrees counter-clockwise problems pop out more. Shoulders don't align with the hips. Her right eye is too far out to the side etc.

Skewed it the other way and did some corrections:

Rotated back to original angle:

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 10:41:58 pm
Mirroring, rotating, and silhouetting the image can also help show the problems.

Offline danilo

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 06:44:08 pm
hey, not quite sure what is the black diagonal line, also the front arm should have some higlights to pop up more
best

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 07:15:23 pm
hey, not quite sure what is the black diagonal line, also the front arm should have some higlights to pop up more
best
Thanks guys for the help, I think I might re-do it.
The black line is a rope.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 10:24:53 am
If she's supposed to be climbing, her leg position seems to be very impractical for that.
I don't see when climbers would want to cross their legs in this manner.
At least I've never seen anyone climbing do that.

That dagger also doesn't look anything like a good climbing tool for solid rock.
This and the leg position as well as the monster head she holds onto suggest that she's fighting more than climbing.

Another thing, if you're climbing, you probably look into the direction you're climbing at to get a hold which, I suppose, would be upwards here.
The lady looks sideways with her eyes half closed.
A very relaxed look which, again, doesn't help conveying the climbing for which you'd expect a more focused look.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:28:08 am by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix