AuthorTopic: Jinn, the Dragonclaw  (Read 10559 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Jinn, the Dragonclaw

Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:15:13 pm
You have a good eye for color but your figure composition is shaky. You need in my opinion to do many more studies, rough, fast studies from real life reference. They can be in pixels, I don't mind. But they need to be from reference so you (and we) can check where you're deviating from what you're seeing. The face here for example looks realistic but only in passing. Once you look closer, the facial features are well rendered but they're on a flat plane, with a forced perspective, one eye bigger than the other, the construction of the head hidden by messy pixel clusters and hair. I know all these signs because I used to draw like this, and still do to some degree. You need to do more, structurally. Trust me.

If you drew on paper without pixelly tech to make everything pretty, you would see very clearly where you're lacking in figure drawing. The anatomy is 'semi-there'. This is good because it means you have an instinctive understanding of it. But it's a bad place to say in for a long time, I know because I was and still am in a way. I think you're young (correct me if I'm wrong) so all the better to get on real figure drawing and push yourself there, not just pixel technique.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 01:41:34 pm
Why do you choose pixel art as a medium?
you think I shoudn't? you think my style doesnt fit PA right? :/
edit:
because I like to work with simple programs such as paint, and I think it's more i nteresting and clean.

Did not mean to offend, as you can see by other posts, it's merely about finish. Pixel art is an odd medium in that it is one of the few that is defined by it's level of finish. This is because of a general consensus line that has been drawn between oekaki and pixel art. Here at pixelation we are completely fine with giving critique in all stages of a piece's lifetime, but you consistently move on to other pieces without that extra 15% or so of refinement that pushes things to the next level and solidifies it in the pixel art realm.

I think you have a great working knowledge of lighting and form which is extremely important and will serve you well throughout all your artistic endeavors. Your palettes are often sensible and pleasing as well.

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 02:50:30 pm
Helm - I start with lineart

Ryumaru, you didnt offended me ^^

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 04:01:59 pm
Yes but what is underneath the lineart?

And I stress, this edit of mine above is bad. It's not enough. It's not based on anything, it's just quasi-superhero anatomy I've picked up because I am a comic artist. What you should do is reference human beings. A lot.

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 02:26:52 pm
Thanks guys, you all ( she is not fighting she is climbing )
update:

ty Helm, fixed the anatomy issues I think

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 02:36:57 pm
The face is still really flat. The eyes are different sizes and heights on the face, and you haven't defined the side plane of the head enough, so the face is taking up too much of the head try placing the near cheekbone and temple, describe the skull before you describe the face.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 02:38:06 pm
No, I don't think you did. I cannot see what you changed, actually. You're going to have to do fundamental studies to get to what I'm trying to convey needs fixing. It won't be an easy fix and it might not have to do with this piece in particular.

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 03:34:20 pm
How come helm? increased the arm size and tweaked the leg.
cure, more like this?

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 04:33:29 pm
Why his eyes are close when he fight with monster?

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 04:39:11 pm
Not really. At a glance, I see no noticeable difference.

I think what Helm is saying is that no amount of 'tweaking' is going to correct this, because the problems are foundational. If you don't have the proper foundation, then whatever you build on top of that foundation is going to turn out wrong. This is why it's important to carefully construct the anatomy from the very beginning, and not rush into a piece. If the skeleton is not right, then the muscles on top of it will not be correct. If the muscles are not correct, then the flesh on top of them will not be correct.

I would echo Helm's concern, that what would be most beneficial to your growth as an artist would be getting out the sketchpad and doing anatomical studies. Even if you're using references (which I'm not certain that you are), you need an internal visual library to understand what you're drawing.

Beetleking: She's climbing while grabbing a statue, not fighting a monster.