AuthorTopic: Character for the game, help nedded  (Read 4295 times)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Character for the game, help nedded

on: October 26, 2012, 05:18:42 pm
Hi guys,
I want to create character for the side scroller puzzle/shooting game. This is the very beginning of my work, and I'm trying to create the basic style of characters. The rest of the characters will be based on the style of this one.

These are random versions of main character who is a human test subject in some laboratory. He has chest implant that enables him to move things using telekinesis. The shapes above them are just variations of chest piece. I don't want this to be to complicated sprite with ton of details, and I would like to preserve this resolution. I like what I've created, but I still think that this can be improved.

Thanks for reading this. Greetings... ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:27:00 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Character for the game, help nedded

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:19:55 pm
I like the designs, especially the last one. The faces are well constructed, they give good detail with few pixels. As far as what can be improved, I see three things. First, there is not enough contrast, especially between the skin tones. This makes the facial details hard to read unless you zoom in. Second, the body proportions are off. Legs should be about half the height of the body. Third, the pose of the legs does not have the level of quality as the rest of the stuff. Both legs are perfect cylinders, at weird angles. You have a lot of room to sculpt the shape of the leg even at this resolution. Don't settle for angled cylinders. Here is an edit that tries to address these three things.

A few other things I did:
- Widen his torso by one pixel
- Eliminate some redundant colors

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 11:22:13 pm
Actually, I love when the proportions are a little off. When it looks kinda cartoony and different.I agree about skin tones, I will change that.  :)

I was more hoping for some design suggestions on how to make it more "when you see the characters you want to play the game" look, if you know what I mean.  ;)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 06:31:28 am
Here's some thoughts:

I didn't mess with the colors at all.
They could use some tweaking.

Sorry no time for an in depth crit.  :(
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:28:30 am
Wow... That's what I was talking about. Thank you, you've helped me a lot...  ;D
Believe it or not, in the first version, character has exactly the same nose, but I changed it later :D

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:01:40 pm
Thanks to great help of PixelPiledriver, here is updated version.  ;D

Offline NordicSoul

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 04:21:32 pm
Look really nice! The pose looks natural, the shape of his clothes is also spot on :) Keep it up!

PS: One thing I´ve just noticed is that you probably should make his legs a bit taller :p

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:00:25 am
Thanks to great help of PixelPiledriver, here is updated version.  ;D

either lift the top of the shirt or drop the feet or both.
obviously you are going for baggy pants and long torso but he looks more like a little person.
his left shoulder (our right) comes foward too much and looks like some distorted bicep, needs a little work there.
i think his hair looks weird now. a young looking, very white guy with a small afro and grey streaks through it?
try sculpting some different hair styles perhaps.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 11:20:54 am
Thanks guys for good advices. I'm busy right now, but I'll post updated version soon...  ;D