AuthorTopic: platform char run help  (Read 5440 times)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

platform char run help

on: October 19, 2012, 11:21:02 am
so after looking at Decroded's topic for a while I want to make a platform game too.  So Im starting with the characters run.  Im just starting with the legs (its a girl character)
(removed)
I think it turned out well, but theres no weight to it and Im having trouble fixing that.  Any suggestions to improve it?
Also, does it seem like the leg comes forward too quickly and back too slowly?

EDIT: well heres my try to give it more weight.  I think its better but still has problems

a third version and a small variation on it; wasnt sure if it was looking too bouncy

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:01:37 pm by r1k »

Offline BlueArctica

• View Profile

Re: platform char run help

Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:08:51 am
I do like the first one the best, but I'd probably only use it with a bulkier character(because the leg comes back slowly). The second seems very animated, almost cartoony. I don't really have a critique for the third one, sorry. I guess it just depends on what kind of style you're tryIng to work with. I can't really help any farthur than that right now, because it's late, I'm tiered, and I'm only on my phone, not an actual computer, but I'll look into it more tomorrow if I can.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 02:12:21 pm
okay I worked out the rest of it.  Here it is still with the 2 main leg variations

The only difference is that in the first one she raises her leg higher in the frame before it hits the ground.  Im thinking about going with the second one, but perhapes the first one seems a bit more energetic?
It wound up being more of a jog than a run but Im okay with that cause I dont want the character to move too fast.

my idea for the game is a simple linear platform game with a boy character and a girl character you can switch between whenever you want.  Im thinking about just going with the typical boy character is slow and strong, girl character is more agile and can use magic or something.  Not super original but still neat I think.  Game will be simple as I can never finish my more ambishous projects.

Offline BlueArctica

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 06:02:12 pm
The second one looks more casual(which I like), but it also looks like maybe she's gotten tiered? I would use it if there was only going to be a girl character, but if you want her to appear more agile in comparison to a boy character, then the first one will probably work better. You might want to make a few rough versions for the boy first, then decide on wich one of these you want to work wIth more.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 10:30:39 pm
Looking pretty good there :) Is it supposed to be a jog? First one looks like a casual jog. The second gives me a treadmilly feel. I prefer the first one definitely.

If you're going for a speedier run or sprint then the legs need to extend more. You could think of each step as a small jump more or less: The extended leg catches the body weight and the knee bends both to absorb the weight and to prepare to "spring" the body into the next step. It's a bit hard to explain so I recommend you check out runners on youtube and if you need it, game sprites you dig for reference on how to layout the keyframes.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:19:09 pm
ya its supposed to be more of a jog.  I think Im going to use the first one.

Ive started working on the guy character

hes supposed to be holding a sword but its short right now just to fit into the 32 pixel width which Ill extend later after I get everything else down.
The arms kind of messy right now.  Im trying to get the sword and arm to rotate inward, I obviously overdid it so far.
His other hand will have a shield depending on if you have the shield item.
His is supposed to be more of an energetic walk I guess.
...just noticed his head is bigger in some frames Ill have to fix that.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 02:16:08 pm
The main suggestion I would give, not being an animation guru, is to try to center the torso/head for the animations you've already done and see how that treats the rest of the movement. As far as I know, unless it's really lurching (you can do this with your male character) a jog would keep the center of gravity centered, the head might move up and down, but not side to side. And even the up and down movement on a good run is minimal, which we've seen on Pixelation when people post actually sprinter photo reference gifs.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 04:27:32 pm
thanks for the suggestion Helm.

heres the girl changed so that the head's x coordinate stays the same

and I think it really helped smooth out the guys walk.  I changed it so the heads x position stays the same, lessened the vertical head movement by 1 pixel in each direction, lessened the shoulders vertical movement, and made a few minor arm changes.  The torsos kind of cut up right now cause I was moving the arms around.

it kind of bothers me that his arm spends more time going foreward than back.  Ill probably change it to have 1 more frame going back and 1 less going foreward sometime later.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 05:57:51 pm
I wouldn't walk and wave the sword around like that if I was him. Looks hazardous. 

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 05:06:25 pm
tried having him hold the sword up instead.  Though I think I made the sword a bit small