AuthorTopic: Mummy  (Read 5401 times)

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38048.htm
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Mummy

on: October 13, 2012, 01:42:14 pm
Hello guys. I am working on a plat-former project. The latest item I have to make is a mummy and I am stuck at it.

That is a frame from the walk-cycle(the only frame I completed) and that is why the posture is a little weird. Help me improve it.

Thanking in advance.
Love Carnage?: Download Epok Now!
My Work
PonjiRo Now Available on Android: Download PonjiRo

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: Mummy

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 11:12:24 pm
- The internal and external outlines are rather inconsistent; you have some places where the outlines are broken up with a bright color, and other places with a thicker, dark outline.  It's the main cause of the visual messiness and noise.

- visually-similar, non-contrasting colors; besides the dark outline color, the three bright colors do not contrast with each other very well (yet they all clash profusely with the dark outline) -- a good fix would be to even out the value spread of colors (drop the image into greyscale), and perhaps play a bit with hue shifting between shades.

- The brightest color in the body adds a lot of visual noise; if you're going to use the bright color, I'd suggest you make it more an effect of the lighting on the subject.

- It looks mostly flat, as the bright color (as noted above) does not react to light, the back leg and arm have no shading whatsoever (if you want to keep low on color count, that dark outline color can double as a shadow color.)

Mostly what I can tell right now, I can make an edit and edit it into this post tomorrow when I'm on a computer.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 01:31:58 pm
i think it looks kinda good how he's leaning forward but in the animation he should also lean back and forward to make more interesting movement.
as far as process goes i think its time for you to block out the animation frames without the detail to get the movement right first, then detail a few frames afterwards.

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:47:12 pm
I am thinking to make the walking animation somewhat like this:
My Work

Offline Scarab

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:37:41 am
The problem I see with the animation you have thus far is that it doesn't have any rhythm or weight.

Start off with the steps where the front foot is just barely contacting the ground, and then the passing position, where the legs pass each other. This will give you a framework for the rhythm, so you can then add in the motion between those two extremes. It makes it much easier to place the limbs when you can see exactly where they came from and exactly where they're going.

With regards to the weight, I imagine a mummy moving very slowly and clumsily, with heavy steps; lifting itself up slowly and falling fast.

Here's my take on how the mummy would move: Notice how much longer it takes to lift itself up than to fall.

I added a zombie-like limp, so it loops with only one step, but a walk like this could be easily adapted to one with even paces.

To make the body feel stiff, I made the head and arms move in synch with the torso, rather than lag behind, but you may want to lag the motion of the loose bandages by a few frames so they feel nice and floppy as they move.

I hope this helps. :)
Regards.

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 03:30:45 pm
Thanks a lot SCARAB. That surely helped me a lot! Though I guess I failed insanely even after remaking it like 10 times. Here's the walk:

My Work

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:03:31 pm
Imo looks much better  :y:

Offline JaViS

• View Profile
    • Pixelatom

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 06:32:35 pm
Metal Slug is always a great reference

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:14:38 pm
Thanks a lot SCARAB. That surely helped me a lot! Though I guess I failed insanely even after remaking it like 10 times. Here's the walk:

I dunno, when I look at that kind of walk it makes me think more of a zombie than a mummy.
i think a mummy should convey a sort of stiffness in the movement due to being wrapped in so much bandages.
I dunno about the whole foot dragging thing though doesn't seem to match.
maybe just go for a fairly normal, but slow walk cycle, then make him lean back (but don't overdo it) as the foot comes up then drop forward as the foot goes down.

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:35:04 pm
Hmm, well technically a Mummy is one of the undead, it would make sense if it moved like a zombie c: Notably a Mummy has their arms stretched out in horror films and I believe they also walk very stiff.