AuthorTopic: werewolf walk cycle  (Read 7042 times)

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

werewolf walk cycle

on: October 11, 2012, 10:17:28 pm
Hi! I need some critique on these werewolf cycles. I think the arms are the part that I'm having the most trouble with (front and back cycles.) Any critique is welcome and would be very helpful! Thanks!
Front:

Back

Side

Thank you again!

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

Re: werewolf walk cycle

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:23:56 pm
The hair/tail is kinda dragging on the ground in the north, East walk cycle, why not make it sway with his steps, also there is no long hair/ tail in the south animation, it's as if it was never there or is already swaying and we can no longer see it.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:57:07 am
The actual walk is good, but a little stiff feeling.  Try adding a bit if twist.  I think you'll find that it may fix your arm problems

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 05:19:06 am
a great start.
 i think vfront and back are looking good but you need to move the shoulders and biceps to create more movement.
you could also try moving the head from left to right a little and twisting the whole upper body a tad iof u want to give him a more intimidating, animal like movement.
the tail is begging to be animated but i say dont overdo it, just keep it to a subtle flick from left to right.

i feel like you should make some major edit to the side view, he is standing too upright like a human when he should be hunched over more due to his physique.
the legs are also too human, and in a better stance i dont think he should be dragging his tail on the floor.
remember this is a creature just at home with running on all fours as it is walking on 2 legs.

here is a more upright stance but he is stationary, i feel this artist would have him hunched over too if he was walking.

keen to see more!

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 04:10:05 am
Thank you everyone for your critique! I think the animations have improved much in this update.
I redid the back to have 8 frames and the same up down motion as the rest

I hunched the side view over a bit

The front is probably my favorite now, add the twist and more frames.

I started the front attack, but I need to edit it a bit.

NateK did a great edit for me that I need to study for my next update

Thank you again, critique is always welcome.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:35:54 pm
The actual leg cycles are really nice and fluid although I'd like to see some motion in the upper body/head too; maybe a bit of a chin bob/head sway etc.

My immediate concern is that I really would not have known it was a werewolf without prompting. I would have guessed rat-man. I sharpened the muzzle & ears, gave him more fur and a fuller, crooked tail as well as an indication of quadruped-style hind-legs. Probably this is overkill collectively and not humanoid enough now but some of these elements (if just the face) would make a bit difference imo.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:19:35 pm by Facet »

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:37:29 pm
This is an amazing edit! :y:
I agree the change in the head and amount of fur really gives the appearance of a Wolf Humanoid.

(no need to quote an image directly above, but thanks - facet :) )
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:45:19 am by Facet »

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:12 pm
Wow thank you! I don't know how I didn't notice that his ears were round, not pointy like they should be.  I don't want to totally rework the body, because it would require a lot more work than I want to spend remaking the cycles and stuff. If I would of caught it at the beginning I would of most likely added more fur and changed the legs, but I just don't want to do all that work again. I fixed the head and the tail, and I think it looks much better. Thank you again Facet.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 12:30:22 am
Ah cool. Yeah, I realise it's late in the day for complete structural changes. That does look better, although I might go for more of a pronounced brow ridge, closer to the eyes; that for me is quite a distinctive canine feature.

Getting that likeness in profile is probably easier than the other elevations though. Comparing with the front (previous ver.) I did notice a couple small inconsistencies in that the head was angled further forward (check the position of the nose) and that he seems to have chunky pale toes in place of dark claws. These are forgiveable really but worth looking at.

I made a start on a matching frontal view the other day also which I've included here for some facial ideas and as perhaps a suggestion as to toning down the arm position a little; flared elbows as a threatening posture is good but the whole arm like that maybe looks a bit too self-conscious/unnatural.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:33:56 am by Facet »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 05:41:12 pm
When animating, always choose the hard route. The easy one will always look inferior. I mean, always draw each frame by itself. I can tell you just redrew or squashed the arms and legs, and the animations lack vitality for it. There's some great crits on how the werewolf could improve in his static look, but get the shape of the movement down before rendering him.