AuthorTopic: Wizard  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Aastikya

• View Profile
    • Emerald Advertising

Wizard

on: January 26, 2013, 01:59:45 pm
Hey guys, I've come up with another sprite:

I am now planning to take being a Pixel Artist as a career and that's why I want to improve asap and be one of the best artists around. So help me improve :D

Are you Looking for a an Advertising Agency to advertise your product? Then Emerald Advertising is just for you!

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Re: Wizard

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:49:02 pm
Your wizard is not bad, you already applied neccessary techniques!

What is looking odd, though, is the hueshifting and the palette usage depending on how your determined your colors... and at some spots it isnt shaded properly so it looks very WIPish

To comment your impatience, I highly suggest you to let go of that attitude, when it comes to pixelart, you need a lot of patience, so there is no "i wanna be best asap". Saying that, I want to warn you from very frustrating upcomming times if you keep it like this :P...

Also, don't see the whole thing as a challenge like "best guy around"... capability is what matters, workflow, maintaining motivation and flexibility (if you really plan on going into the industry)
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:20:30 pm
I was going to say sort of the same thing- you have to take better care of what you say, young'un! :blind:
Stating you want to "improve asap and be one of the best around" might be the simple truth, but it's sort of dismissing about the amount of work it takes to get there. ;) (Instead, just say you want to improve a lot)

About the sprite:

You understand that you can use light shades of some colors as highlights or shadows of others (ex: light brown on blue hat, dark blue on hair), but just because you can doesn't mean you should. This technique is better applied to situations with few colors, in which you have to resort to other colors as highlights or shades.
What I want to say is, it works for a GameBoy or an NES sprite, but yours already looks like it has plenty of colors it could use instead.

Despite your apparent understanding of color theory, the shades are a bit of a mess, and they're all around the place, especially the lower part of the robe. Think about where the light is coming from, and what is the shape of the robe.

The nose looks like it's too high up; you could try lowering it down a bit.

The "blush" looks too jarring. You might add another lighter red, to keep it from contrasting so much with the skin. Also, blush is traditionally put on the tip of the nose, and spreads out from there.

The tip of the hat is pitch black, and I bet it's not meant to be like that. (The tip of the hat is too close to the light source -which is upwards- to have such a strong shadow)

I assume the black thing next to the shoe is the other shoe. If it's being viewed completely from the side, it wouldn't poke out so much ahead of the other. Conversely, if it's a sort of top-view, it wouldn't be at the same height as the other one.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:29:01 pm by YellowLime »

Offline Aastikya

• View Profile
    • Emerald Advertising

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:52:58 am
Well my bad lol... I just want to be a great artist as I want this to my career.

Anyways, thanks a lot for critiques Elk and YellowLime. After what you guys said, I re-read color tutorials and read as much as I could find for color theory to make a good palette etc.

Here's my update:

Are you Looking for a an Advertising Agency to advertise your product? Then Emerald Advertising is just for you!

Offline Applzor

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:13:10 am
good work on shadowing underneath the hat, however not sure why the lower quarter of his hair is in shadow.

perhaps reduce how much of the sunglasses you can see. sunglasses point straight ahead on a person and you would only see a small portion of the lens from a side on view

Offline Aastikya

• View Profile
    • Emerald Advertising

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 05:13:36 pm
Not sure if I should post this as there isnt really much to show. Anyways