AuthorTopic: NES soldier walk cycle  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

NES soldier walk cycle

on: October 08, 2012, 02:48:25 am
Hi all! I've been working on a walk cycle for this foot soldier, I feel like I'm pretty close to what I need. My goal is to get one good walk cycle so I can apply it to more content in the game I'm working on :) I like this walk cycle, but I feel like it could be slightly better.

Walk cycles aren't my strong suit, so I'm trying to work my way through this to try an get a little bit better at them :)

Thanks to all who reply!

-Johnny B.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Re: NES soldier walk cycle

Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:40:03 am
-
old - new

For the running animation, I have tweaked the following:
- You should use an even number of running frames. The first and the last frame are identical and so the animation stalls at this position.
- The bouncing: It should bounce the same way for each leg. You made him bounce up for the one leg and down for the other leg.

Other than that: Already quite solid, I like it!

Hm... You could make the animation even fancier: Include some sub-animations, e.g. move the weapon left and right while running. Or... give him a larger Antenna on the helmet which wiggles a bit.
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:33:55 am
Oh wow! Your edit really made it much better. Extremely helpful info, thanks so much!

I updated it with the better timing, and took a stab at a sub animation with the shoulders. The shoulders go up when he impacts the ground, which I think might be right, but I haven't put in the time to make sure yet. I'm going to keep working on some sub animations and see where it leads me :)

Having a sub animation didn't even occur to me, but yeah, way more interesting to look at :) This guy's shaping up quite nicely!

Thanks again!

-John

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:17:10 am

I borrowed this from ptoing ... Hope this help.