AuthorTopic: GR#116 - Dinosaur Head - Anatomy / Shading / Palette  (Read 17824 times)

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Re: Dragon/dinosaur head and body

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 12:13:34 pm

Was reminded of this, so applied some of the pixel-learning gained from the pumpkin. Hope it's better?
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 10:45:48 am
it could use slightly more speculars, esp. on shoulders and tights. I do admit that the former one had specular that mostly defined an artificial line, so it needs moderate effect. I did like a lot the "scales clusters" you had before, but imho you clearly improved the realism of the belly part.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 01:56:13 pm
Hm, I tried to frankenstein some parts from the old sprite (the back, some parts of the frontlimbs) and tweaked around a lot. The problem is, I somehow forgot how I even did the scale texture so...

Not very sure whether I like it better or not.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 02:16:56 pm
micro-edit on the speculars:
<- you - vs - me ->

Imho, you needn't to use the highest colour on every highlight. It'd work bettern if you use the lightest shade only for very specific area and have some highlights that only use the intermediate tint.
(I'm not an expert at this, but it reduces the "chicken spot" effect, imvho)

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 05:26:41 pm
Hm, made some edits based on that -

Better?

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 06:19:30 pm
Really good progress, but it seems that the arms and legs are seen from a different angle.

Changed where the shoulder starts, and no idea what is happening on his chest (I think you added some lines just for the sake, no offence).

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 06:59:56 pm
I think the october version was better then the newer version. I think his lower body is too covered in like ridges or ripples or whatever they are. The version before had a nice texture on his underbelly and now he just seems to be smooth and covered in oil or something.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 08:25:39 pm
Ah, the chest... It was more a reference to the wing muscle style stuff that some dragons do (where the muscleridge goes over the arm) but since it doesn't have wings, I guess it looks weird.
I have issues with the chest since Im not sure how the arms would join the neck on a dragon/dinosaur/lizard.

Fahrenheit: The main reason for the change was a lack of focus - the leg was commanding too much attention, and changed the belly too because to me it felt really unfinished and it was inconsistent with the tail's texture.
Im not sure what to do with that either, don't really mind the oilyness. Its easy to rationalize either texture, oily smooth or rough pebbly.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 06:33:02 am
Very nice looking. Crunchy, delicious texture happening, of which I'm a huge fan. Before you get too lost in details- What's going on with his feet? Does he have talons? Also, take another look at your back leg. make sure it doesn't get neglected. It doesn't appear to match the front one, anatomically, and looks flat. Sculpt it a bit more, and match up the joints on both legs.

I would also examine the silhouette of his tail, too. Seems a little sectioned off, like the victim of overzealous line tool. Fantastic work. Pallet is appealing too.  :y:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:35:20 am by Shrike »