AuthorTopic: [WIP] Halloween styled overworld  (Read 3021 times)

Offline newGuy

• View Profile

[WIP] Halloween styled overworld

on: October 01, 2012, 06:00:04 pm
Hey!

I'd like some insights on how to make this better looking:

It's supposed to be a Super Mario World-esque overwolrd map for a game project of mine.

Specifically, I have no idea on how to make the swamp water look more like water without making it too 'dirty-looking'.

Also, please point any readability problems, or overall issues you find.

Thanks!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:51:46 pm by newGuy »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: [WIP] Halloween styled overworld

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:17:51 pm
The basic water seems to be fine as it is, I won't change anything.
To improve the water effect I'd add some subtile animated pixels which are suggesting that there actually is a liquidity.

I'd also add some more background art (at the light blue). The Mario games I played had worlds which actually looked like worlds. Your's looks atm more like a simple schemata.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:01 pm
is jack's name running into the forum for anyone else? @__@

Anyway, the overworld looks SUPER CUTE! c: It looks like it's going to be an extremely cute Halloween game! The swamp looks pretty good, we're talking about the green pond thing, right? Normally when I think of a swamp I think of purple, the lillypad is a really nice touch but maybe a dead tree or two would make it even more swampy c:

Offline newGuy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:01:02 am
Hey! Thanks for the replies!

I plan on animating lots of the small bits of this piece once I get it done, and I suppose it'll really help emphasize on the liquidity of the swamp.

Oh, and this huge light blue area is just temporary negative space that I plan on replacing with non interactive bits of detail scatered around the scene.

I tried giving the swamp a boost without making it too cluttered (among other small details added!). What do you think?

Thanks!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:34 am
It looks great so far. Id like to see the skull bob up and down.
If ur looking for ideas for background you can have the odd bat flying around and a cycle of a zombie digging up out.of the ground, walk around a bit then go back in...