AuthorTopic: 32x32 with a strange palette  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

32x32 with a strange palette

on: October 05, 2012, 08:06:47 pm
This one's pretty simple. Just a 32x32 whatever which I'll then make with card stock squares on a base.

The only outstanding thing is that my supplies are very limited. I only have 24 colors to work with that I didn't choose.

And it's pretty much all over the place. The best parts of it are the variety of dark blues and that nice red-yellow ramp, but other than that, it's a bit of an obstacle, especially with such a big gap between the shadows and highlights.

Now, what I make actually doesn't matter, so the main focus of what I do is if it can be represented by that palette.

I started off with a beach at sunset that didn't have anything to to bridge the blue greys and yellows, tried some green mountains that could almost fade into an ugly grey sky, and this morning I actually paid attention to the colors I have and did this-

-zoomed for people like me whose browser blurs when it scales-

-which I'm not a terribly big fan of, especially because of how it doesn't work well zoomed in, which is how it would be viewed once the actual thing is made.

So it would be nice to get some input from you professionals that know a whole lot about palettes, since I've never taken the time to get into it. I usually just wing it and edit.

And again, "standing torch thing at night" is every kind of tentative. I think I'd probably prefer to do something different, but the colors are the main priority. I could even go completely abstract if I wanted.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:08:24 pm by Phlakes »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: 32x32 with a strange palette

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:42:16 pm
well, you could try to use cloud clusters rather than dither rasters for the sky.

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:21:11 pm
So where did you get that palette? It's quite horrible! :D Is it for some challenge or what? Anways, you made a good choice going with a dark scene as that's one of the few decent registers in that palette. An underground lava-world is probably what those colors could do best?

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 11:35:58 pm
So where did you get that palette? It's quite horrible! :D Is it for some challenge or what? Anways, you made a good choice going with a dark scene as that's one of the few decent registers in that palette. An underground lava-world is probably what those colors could do best?

I have an old supply of a very specific kind of card stock, which I can't find anywhere any more, so I've been meaning to put it to good use. So I'm just using the colors that I have on hand. I'd forget all that and buy some more, but I don't have that kind of (see: any disposable) money right now.