AuthorTopic: hate trees  (Read 27214 times)

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page

Re: hate trees

Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 09:37:09 pm
It looks really good Taka...My only suggestion would be to swap the darkest green with something a bit more purple...Still in the same luminance range however...But the piece does work well as it is...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

hate walls

Reply #31 on: July 02, 2006, 03:51:50 am

been working on the town-ish tiles.. not happy with the walls at all, crits welcome.

edit-
added a door
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 05:47:44 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #32 on: July 02, 2006, 05:53:00 am
I like the greenness of the old picture, despite all the complaints. It gives a rather soothing feel to the environment As for the new, town tiles, The trapezoid(?) sideways <-pointing bricks in the wall look out of place. That as well as the lack of dimension to the bricks. They look like they're just plastered onto a flat plane. I say give 'em more pop. Also, on the roof, the  border tiles  blend in too much to the flat tiles. You know how in some Iso games, the raised platforms are outlined in black to distinguish them from the lower levels? Well, yeah, I wouldn't go that far, but it could use some distinguishment, like maybe stronger hilights or something? It also seems odd to me to have a roof made out of wood like that, all checker-patterned and everything. I like the ground tiles and low-saturation feel you got goin' on, though.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #33 on: July 02, 2006, 06:18:35 am
Im definetly going to redo the wall tiles completely (except for maybe the skirting down the bottom).. they look like garbage right now lol, the door helps them a bit, but I dont want to be putting doors everywhere so the walls look right :P
I think youre right about the brick borders on top of the walls, I'll give them outlines similar to the borders around the dirt ;)
and the wood roof, well its meant to be like a... walkway ontop of the buildings, helps make the towns more interesting, but I will ofcourse make regular roofs too ;)
and thanks :)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 02, 2006, 06:47:56 am
well the main problem with the wall tiles I think is that you have that straight line going down so it's way to easy to see where it tiles (i think this is a problem with the floor tiles too.  If you're going to redo them though just keep that in mind.  The door and the other tiles are looking great, I love them.  so so smooth

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #35 on: July 02, 2006, 07:05:32 am
I think I'll rotate the paved tiles to 22 or 45 degrees to help break up the grid look, thanks darien :)

edit-

I think this looks a bit better, I need to make the tiles shorter vertically

edit-

I think I'll add some moss to it to make it look cooler :)

edit-

I think the walls look better now, threw in a tree just to make it look less empty :P and I tweaked the paved tiles a tiny bit

edit-

windows, not quite done with them I think  :-\
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 10:45:25 am by .TakaM »

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: July 02, 2006, 11:05:53 am
NIce.  The style on these tiles is so crisp and smooth.  The tile rotation looks good.  However, the ground tiles eem to me to be looked at straight down.  I dunno, maybe its just me.  :)
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #37 on: July 02, 2006, 11:24:47 am
yeah theyre definetly out of the perspective, Im just putting off fixing it coz Im gonna have to pretty much make them all over again :P

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #38 on: July 02, 2006, 09:43:02 pm
  With this kind of perspective/tiles.  Ground tiles are usually seen from a top view because that makes them expandable.  It's too much trouble to make diffrent sized tiles to make look like it's at the same perspective as the rest of the scene.  If he was trying to make a scene that was set in it's overall size or it's height, then he would need to make them in a slightly diffrent perspective.  He's making map tiles so it's just not practical.

On another note.  I really think you've improved a lot.  I think that you've got a tendancy to try and make your tiles based too much on a certain color.  You should try to use a wider variety of colors. 

I really love that water, and the stone pathway. :)  This is a great tileset.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #39 on: July 03, 2006, 01:19:46 am

I think this perspective is right, but what you see definetly isnt the final tiles, they dont even tile properly and were skewed in photoshop XD