AuthorTopic: HUD wip  (Read 2703 times)

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

HUD wip

on: September 28, 2012, 12:17:50 am
Hey this is just a HUD I started working on today.

HP: Right  Mana:Left
I was wondering what you folks might think of it?
I'm considering gray scaling it and then adding the HP and Mana, but I don't know what to do anymore criticism please? :D 

Update:

Another Update: The Hud is still a work in progress but I'm trying to give you guys an idea of how I want it to look and function. What I mean by Custom Hot Keys is in the Circles it will say what key you macro that function to, for example A = Shield S = Sword.

In better news I'm glad to say I finished the walk animation for all directions:D

also I have a start on the first enemy, always recognizable in many rpg's the Slime Monster :3

PS: it does have an idle animation already but I was too lazy to show you guys.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:15:13 pm by DannyIsAHippy »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: HUD wip

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 02:52:56 pm
Are they supposed to be wings? If so I suggest using some reference - http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=angle+wings&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=35277026&biw=1920&bih=961&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=hsZ6UI_9FaWjigeR7ICYAw#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&spell=1&q=angel+wings&sa=X&ei=isZ6UJkH7LOJB8K-gdAM&ved=0CEIQBSgA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=48a0dfcee7335cd0&bpcl=35277026&biw=1920&bih=961.

I'm not good with HUDs, I'm yet to attempt one for the game I'm working on (feel its a bit too early) but I just don't feel this design is suitable.
I don't think just colouring the wings will read too well.
Also it looks like a lo-res game so seems like a waste to repeat the character in the HUD when you could have other information in that previous space.
I think if you describe all the information you want the HUD to display first,  then come up with a theme (some Angel?), then you can get ideas for the design and start sketching...

with the slime, its really hard to see the 2 shades of green on my screen.
otherwise i think it looks pretty cool just wondering if you considered inverting the shading to give it a jelly like appearance?
bit of a bad edit:

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Re: HUD wip

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 05:34:59 pm
As a gamer I feel this might be a bit unhelpful as an UI - the exact height of the mp and hp levels are hard to see from behind the character-plate.
I'd suggest leaving at least a strip of color on the borders or some such.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com