AuthorTopic: Dude sprite, breathing animation [C+C]  (Read 9171 times)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Dude sprite, breathing animation [C+C]

on: September 27, 2012, 06:28:33 pm
So here's this guy:

I asked for anatomy-critique in the casual pixels-thread some week/s ago, but haven't gotten any replies. That request still stands, though.

I went on and tried to animate him breathing, just for practice. This is how far I got:

I have some issues with these results, such as the inhale being too sudden, to the point of jarring if you don't pay close attention to the frame leading up to it. Actually, it's like you only see two frames throughout the whole loop. Can you offer any suggestions on how to make the transition from empty to filled lungs (and vice versa) more smooth? And should I exaggerate the inhale some more? How, then?

Also, I feel like the whole sprite might be a bit too rigid. What other movement could I add to the animation in combination with the breathing to make it more interesting? I know I'll add blinking eyes, for example. But what else? Knees bending a bit? More facial expressions?

Lots of questions here. :blind:
Anyway, thanks for your help, guys!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Dude sprite, breathing animation [C+C]

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:43:27 pm
This is where subpixel animation is useful. You can tween sub-one pixel movement by using intermediate shades. It'll look very fancy, though time consuming to make.

Offline ericbloom

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:10:38 pm
In case anyone else doesn't know what sub pixel animation is, I just found a pretty sweet breakdown:

http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/give-your-sprites-depth-with-sub-pixel-animation/

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:25:42 pm
Yes, I considered that sub-pixeling might be the right thing to apply in this case. I haven't tried it before, though, so this should be suitable as a practice course in that as well.

Thanks for the comments! I'll study the link you supplied, ericbloom.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 09:09:15 pm
Okay, here's an update, and my first try at doing something subpixel. Not sure if it's done right, but at least the animation is more active now. Don't mind the arm, though! Not exactly sure what's going on there. :huh:

side-by-side comparison:

Maybe it's too active ;D. Anyway, it's fun to experiment with!

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 11:42:23 pm
breath seems too fast if he is relaxed.  Breath seems too shallow if he is slightly exhasperated

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 10:49:30 am
Agreed. The pose would suggest he's relaxed, so that's what I'm going for here. Is this better?

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:26:35 pm
The jerky feel comes from the head moving two pixels in a single frame; one down and one to the side. If you just move it down one pixel things get smoother.

But I think you're gonna need an in-between frame for the head-bobbing. Maybe even two to make the sub-pixel blur less evident.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 09:46:21 pm
I was wondering where I'd go next. Thanks for the advice, ErekT! I'll improve on the head movement.