AuthorTopic: The homunculus - Tattoo WC@PJ  (Read 4499 times)

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

The homunculus - Tattoo WC@PJ

on: September 28, 2012, 01:15:55 am

the face is like a beak

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: The homunculus - Tattoo WC@PJ

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:40:50 am
General observation, not on this piece but on your posting. You started a whole bunch of threads over the past few months and it seems like you hardly finished any of the pieces. Try and finish something before going to the next thing. I know it can be tempting to work on new stuff but being able to see something through is important if you want to get anywhere substantial with your art.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:23:25 pm
General observation, not on this piece but on your posting. You started a whole bunch of threads over the past few months and it seems like you hardly finished any of the pieces. Try and finish something before going to the next thing. I know it can be tempting to work on new stuff but being able to see something through is important if you want to get anywhere substantial with your art.

The last one I posted is finished x)

I didnt finished that ones because I join Weekly Challenges all the time :p. But thanks Ptoing, you are right!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:56:40 pm
I seen that one. It is quite nice, but not finished in my book. It has varying degrees of polish in different areas and the AA is quite inconsistent.

I know you wrote somewhere that you are fail at AA. Time to sit down and look at how AA works. It really is just approximation, nothing else. It is pure math which takes a while to get your head around when you work with limited colours. I suggest looking at how stuff like Photoshop or other programs AA things when you make a circle or something.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:22:53 pm
Ty Ptoing :)
Update:

thanks to night, also updated
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:47:40 pm by philippejugnet »

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:07:53 am

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 04:06:54 am
You are very great at making pieces with solid value structures, harmonious palettes, and a generally strong sense of lighting. You have the art part of things down; as ptoing is stating, I think these pieces need a little bit more time to really get to the pixel level. I really like the texture you are getting in the cracked dirt in the lower right- this piece is already a bit farther than others in terms of how well you have applied pixels.

May I ask what the homunculus is doing? Mourning the dead and buried? Walking around in a mountain scape just cause? Giving him a more concrete purpose may help you in finding a better pose; the current one is a little static and very symmetrical.

Your works so far are very ambitious, it's really great to see someone do work at this level and choose the pixel medium to do so.

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 05:50:00 pm
You are very great at making pieces with solid value structures, harmonious palettes, and a generally strong sense of lighting. You have the art part of things down; as ptoing is stating, I think these pieces need a little bit more time to really get to the pixel level. I really like the texture you are getting in the cracked dirt in the lower right- this piece is already a bit farther than others in terms of how well you have applied pixels.

May I ask what the homunculus is doing? Mourning the dead and buried? Walking around in a mountain scape just cause? Giving him a more concrete purpose may help you in finding a better pose; the current one is a little static and very symmetrical.

Your works so far are very ambitious, it's really great to see someone do work at this level and choose the pixel medium to do so.
yes, I was thinking about that too.

ty dude! and if you are a girl, ty dudette ^^!

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:01:37 pm
smaller canvas!
you're very stubborn.  I challenge your next project to focus mainly on the pixel level