AuthorTopic: Steampunk House  (Read 6833 times)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: Steampunk House

Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 06:40:21 am
I'd suggest doing some anatomy studies...compared to the great work you did on the building itself, your girl looks out of place. It seems to me like you're uncomfortable drawing people. The piece is very well-made overall, though! =)

I'd use less hue-shifting, too, but that's all a matter of taste, anyway...
I love how you did the windows!

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 07:24:29 am
Thanks for your tip with anatomy studies, but I am doing at least each day one and I think the anatomy is Ok ;) (if not feel free to point out the places where the "anatomy" is off). There wasn't any desire to keep the proportions photorealistic and it wouldn't even make sense since it's a game graphic with pixels and they will be also animated later. Too much danger to fall in the "realistic gap" which would lead to a hell of work for nothing, because the pixels are too rough for this.

THe most important thing is to communicate the charakters personality. I think it's necessary for the style with the big heads, to counteract this with the shoulders and arms. I don't think it's really convincing to make the faces smaller because at 100% they are atm really small. I also think that changing the body proportions to a chibi style will destroy the more earnest style.
Unifiying the body shapes won't be a good  idea too, because atm it's clear visible which char is male and which female. And since they are drawn in more or less 3/4 RPG perspective (I also took some liberalities with this to  make their reading better) there is not much I can do with the head and the shoulders and this place looks still a bit off to me, but I don't know how to do anything about it right now.

If you want to discuss the style, or you can bring up some convincing examples or ideas feel free to share. If you just dislike the style, it's hard to discuss this topic.
Hue-Shifting is also a matter of style, I think reducing it would seriously harm the magic feeling and lead from the more naturalistic style to a realistic direction.

If you have something constructive to add I'll definitely listen.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 08:34:39 am
Looking great!  :y: :)

Here's some thoughts on the girl.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:21:13 am
Well there isn't more to say except:

love the way how you altered the face and the skin, although I have to admit that I love my hands. And the swoosh in the hair is so lovely  ;D
I lengthened the arms a bit at bot and made some other very minor changes.

I also changed the gable of the side roof, had an error in reasoning, because I used full cylinders instead of half ones and I changed her position at the balcony to increase the depth

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:25:32 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 03:28:17 pm
its insanely good. I love the selective outlining, i could look at it all day!