AuthorTopic: [WIP] "Triple Gauntlet"  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

[WIP] "Triple Gauntlet"

on: September 23, 2012, 04:20:28 am
Normally I wouldn't post something that's so early in its design, but it took quite some time just to get to this point! So, before I get into any tuning and detailing, I just wanted to see if anyone could find any big structural issues with the "triple gauntlet"

Here's the full thing,

Here how it appears in-game, after each section is complete, the image moves down to the next section.

Anyway, let me know what you think! :D

-JB

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] "Triple Gauntlet"

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:34 pm
i think it looks great, really demonic. the character doesnt look like he fits there though to my eyes. i think its the lighting on him, the room is very dark with just that inferno for light, it would change the character.

edit> in particular maybe hed look cool if he was a silhouette with flame coloured highlights and perhaps blue shadows, thatd be something id try but im no expert. its tough because you still need him to stand out if its a game.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:58:23 pm by Probo »

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:53:26 pm
Thanks for checking it out Probo!

I'm working within NES limitations, so changing the character art isn't exactly in the cards, and sense he stands out anyway, I'm leaning on the player suspending their disbelief in this setting. Overall it really worked out that the whole thing is only 3 colors, it seems that less is more in this situation. I'll post an edit once its cleaned up :D

-JB

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 01:57:01 pm
yeah i see what you mean, not that there werent any but i cant remember any nes games right now where the sprite really reflected the apparent light sources or changing brightness of the backgrounds. I guess theyd have to redraw the sprites for each level. but if the whole game was going to be firey dungeons, it would be an option i suppose. looks good though! feels kind of aztec.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:52:45 pm
I agree that the character doesn't fit and I don't see why NES limitations prevent you from changing it. I think the background is really cool. It'd be a shame to waste it with a generic player character.