AuthorTopic: [WIP] Forest Tileset  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

[WIP] Forest Tileset

on: September 22, 2012, 11:58:36 pm
I just started this forest tileset and need help to improve it.

My plan is use that as an RPG maker tileset.
Any suggestions to make it look better?

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Forest Tileset

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:04:30 am
Very nice, it's a bit hard to read the texture on the tree though. (Could be my eyes) Creating a larger gap between shades would help. Another thing to think about is the white pixels in between the leaves in the trees. When I was using a program for game design, I was unable to make a background transparent until I put it into the game, then I had to remove each and everyone of those pixels between the tree leaves. It looks completely amazing though, so if you want to keep that look, don't forget that you might have to do some extra work. (Unless it's already transparent.)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:47:48 am
I'm so jelly, I can't draw trees at all!

The only thing I can see right now is that it is a bit noisy in places, especially the darker parts and the transition between.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:49:23 am by Seiseki »

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 07:45:44 pm
I feel like the lower parts of the leaves lacks of clarity. It's very hard to see them, and they don't seem to follow the same pattern than the upper leaves, they're too noisy. Otherwise, it looks pretty good, but you shouldn't forget that the leaves part of a tree is usually really bigger than the trunk. It's a very common error when people design trees, I know it's often made on purpose for gameplay concerns, but I think like there should be a way to make them more interesting. All games features tiny trees, as if they had bushes proportions. Why not make more interesting ones.

Just look at google. Just the few first results :

Take a look at your proportions :

If I take the thinnest trunk and put it under the biggest foliage, it looks more realistic :
Also notice that the foliage casts a shadow on the trunk. Lighting is extremely important.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:06:27 am by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer