AuthorTopic: Platformer tileset  (Read 12178 times)

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Platformer tileset

on: September 20, 2012, 05:40:10 pm
Hi guys ! I'm into tilesets since I've been studying Mrmo Tarius' works, so I started to work on a 16x16 tileset, here it is

It's tiling pretty well I bieleve
Some tiles might be useless but I like having a lot of random tiles to play with. Hope it doesn't affect on readability :/

Any suggestion, critique or advice are highly appreciated !
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:33:07 pm by FrostPumpkin »

Offline Teknopants

• View Profile
    • Teknopants

Re: Platformer tileset

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:11:18 pm
Wow! This is gorgeous! I love the random tiles, it gives the set some uncommon style. The environment reminds me of something out of an old sci-fi novel.
My only suggestion would be to add some larger set pieces, like 32x32 metal panels to break up the grid. I'd also use that solid orangey-colored tile to make large spaces of rock to break up the grid as well.

The only tiles that seem difficult to use are the darker colored rocks above the main rock chunk.

Are you planning on using this for anything in particular?
Indie Game Dev - http://teknopants.com

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:45:31 pm
Looks awesome, but readability could use some work :)
At least the part with foreground/background, can't really tell where you can't and can walk. The metal looks much sharper than the rock.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:30:36 am
Overall: pure gorgeous.
The center dirt tiles produce very flat areas, however, which seems out of place compared to the rest of the tileset.
You clearly have great potential in this tileset, but I'm perplexed when I look at your mockup. It feels like the map file had some glitches and some tiles are not where they should be.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 03:26:09 pm
looks fantastic. i like the randomness in the metal areas, makes it look like some hellish giger machine. id keep the randomness away from the dirt though!

Offline r4c7

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:01:14 am

I like the embracement of the Grid. Unfortunately, I agree that some of the tiles and tile intersections don't blend well, and although I understand that is part of the style, it doesn't look good in some places.  I actually like the flatness of the rocks, I think it creates an interesting contrast from the complexity of the metal.

The palette is pretty bland, IMO. Maybe upping the contrast a bit or try different hues? I feel the rocks could also could do witha slight saturation boost. Of course, this all depends on the context of the scene, but I still think it may need some tweaking.

Offline wurfle

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 05:07:07 am
I actually like the palette quite a lot, the gritty desaturated hues look very nice in these circumstances. If you wanted you could send the darker brown a bit closer to purple though.

The tiles themselves are just about perfect.

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 11:04:02 pm
Thanks guys for all these replies !

Teknopants : Thanks a lot ! I'm working on some 32x32 tiles as you said, you're helping me quite well with this :)
You are right about the darker rock tiles, in fact i've juste darkened the basic rock tiles but it doesn't seem to work. Seems I'll have to make a proper set of darker tiles.
Nope, won't use it for any game. Or at least it's not decided yet. However, working on these gave me some game ideas ! So, eventually if I go further enough with these I can use them :)

Seiseki : Yeah, readability is an issue. I think the way I put tiles together did affect readability too. I mean, if i decide that darker tiles will be background and the lighter, more solid tiles will be foregro)und, I think it could work
I made another mock-up, trying to make it more platformer like.

The red tiles are those you can walk on, the others are part of the background. Not sure it's really clear yet, at least it looks less random (I hope)

Pypebros : Thanks for giving you opinion ! You are right about those rock tiles, I must admit they are pretty uncomfortable to use because some combinations of tiles won't work due to that issue. I might rework them a bit so they combine better and look less flat. Also, you mentionned a glitch effect, It's pretty much like half-intended. I like this buggy style, when it's not to obvious.

Probo : Thank you :). Are you saying that I shouldn't mix dirt and metal tiles ?

r4c7 : Thank you for your attention. I'll be working on the blending issue, but I don't want it to be too smooth. Just like you I do like the grid being visible.
You're right about the palette being a little bland. Will surely tweak the contrasts a bit, not too much thought. I like this kind of monochrome dirty look, makes it cyber-punk and polluted, that's pretty much what I was going for. Not sure about the saturation on the rocks, will give it a try anyways :)

Wurfle : Yeah, the colors are not completely defenitive. I agree with you for the darker brown, I'm a big fan of hue shiftings but this brown will be the basic color of the darker rock tiles and I don't want them to be too purple. But be sure I'll proceed at some tests about palette :)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 09:15:25 am
Some hue shift for the background, maybe ?

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:36:31 pm
Are you saying that I shouldn't mix dirt and metal tiles ?

no sorry i just meant that although i love the random look of the machinery tiles, there were some dirt tiles that looked a bit random too and it didnt look quite right.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us