AuthorTopic: Small Base W.I.P  (Read 4308 times)

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

Small Base W.I.P

on: September 18, 2012, 04:41:08 am
Hey I've posted my work here before and never really got much attention, well I've recently been inspired by a Indie game known as Secrets of Grindea so a buddy of mine wants to make an RPG with me so hopefully the community here would like to take this journey on helping me build and fix my errors, I'll update daily. 

This was made in about half an hour.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Small Base W.I.P

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:11:55 am
I think you might be trying to go for too much detail in such a small space. (You might wanna check out the musclebaby thread).

And maybe it's just me, but seven skin tones seems to be a tad much. Could you accomplish the same with four? Or even three? That goes double for the pants- at this resolution, I think the amount of colors makes everything look a bit like pixel noise.

Here's a quick edit:

Down to 8 colors. It's probably not the best example, but hopefully it gets my point across.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:10:34 pm
Thanks for the Thread, I got rid of some of the details but then I remembered that we were going to Scale the Icon so not much was changed.

Here's a small Update

Here's a Slash animation I started working on

Here's another small update.
I made some grass! this is my first grass tile I have ever made please give your honest opinion.
Also I made some hair for the base, give your thoughts please and thank you.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:40:52 am by DannyIsAHippy »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 07:46:47 am
Here's a Slash animation I started working on
To get a good slash animation, it's best to have the full body moving. It's not exactly as a baseball player doing a move, but almost: you use your own weight to empower your strike, which means shoulders and feet move a lot to keep you balanced.

I made some grass! this is my first grass tile I have ever made please give your honest opinion.
major drawback of this grass is that it is noisy. If I can quote CyanGmou's excellent tutorial,

So it's usually better to simplify the shapes and give stylized details made of good clusters than trying to mimmic what eyes would see (eyes don't see with limited palette and square shapes, anyway). Beetleking's autumn tileset is an (imho) excellent example of what I mean.

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:20:16 am
Hey everyone, sorry iv been a little slow with updates, I had company over these past 2 days.
Anyways here's my new grass I made.

I'm new to working with turfs so I used a reference, here that is.

Also here's the updated Slash Animation I tried to add more movement through out the body just as you suggested.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:40:13 am by DannyIsAHippy »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 03:04:05 am
the slash is a bit slow and too smooth looking.  Try cutting 2 frames out of the slash and speed it up slightly.

edit: in games, priority of graphics is important.  The sprites should have higher priority than the background.  One way to do this is decrease the amount of contrast in the background.  See how in your reference for the grass the blades are subtle but noticable, whereas on yours there is alot of contrast between the dark green and the bladed of grass.

The grass looks fairly good but there are noticable verticle bands formed at the bottom of the tiles.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:07:15 am by r1k »

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 03:21:06 am
the slash is a bit slow and too smooth looking.  Try cutting 2 frames out of the slash and speed it up slightly.

The animation your seeing seems to be moving much slower than what it really is, If I knew a way to speed it up I would but making one of those .gif animations is really confusing for me.

The current frame delay is 0.5 in the actual animation, looks much more fluent and less sluggish

See how in your reference for the grass the blades are subtle but noticable, whereas on yours there is alot of contrast between the dark green and the bladed of grass.

So I should get rid of some of the detail?
Now that I look at my tile from a distance the blades of grass look more sharper and more wild.. I wanna go for a tamed texture, could you show me an example of one?

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:44:56 am
I still think the slash looks too smooth.  I loaded it into game maker and played it faster but still cut some frames out.  But maybe someone better at animation can give better advice.

As for the grass the problem is partialy the colors (too much light dark contrast between  background and grass blades) and partially the amount of detail.  On your reference I notice theres a little bit more space between the blades of grass.  Heres to show where the tiling is creating horizontal bands (oops just noticed I said vertical bands before, meant to say horizontal)

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:54:24 pm
Not much to say today, small update.

~

Hey all here's my attempt at a walk animation for the base.

merged, double/multi posting in the same day, isn't really justifiable bumping. so please try refrain from doing it.

Here's a Tree work in progress, I don't really have any idea on how to shade the tree it's my first one iv ever made so yeah..

Also here's my Run animation with the first hair I've created.

Regular Walk animation, hair added.

Update:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:53:46 am by DannyIsAHippy »