AuthorTopic: MeltedRubberWellyHead [WIP]  (Read 6859 times)

Offline Probo

• View Profile

MeltedRubberWellyHead [WIP]

on: September 17, 2012, 07:21:20 pm
Hi guys, i was making a large pixel art mutant, he's called meltedrubberwellyhead. Ive not been doing this pixel lark long, a couple of months, and id love to have a bit of C+C about this pic as i just want to get better.

i did a very very basic sketch first and scanned that into my pc. its the first time ive tried that, but i definitely think ill be using a similar approach for larger pixel art in the future!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: MeltedRubberWellyHead [WIP]

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:44:42 pm
It looks really good! The outlines are a bit harsh in some of the lighter areas though.

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:43:30 pm
That's a very fun concept !

It has a lot of banding issues though..

I think you shouldn't make the outline where light source is coming from so light, you could just use one of the lighter shadows instead of highlighting the edges
Also you could add some texture to it,

I made a quick edit, hopefully it helps you out, gives you a idea how you could do the texturing and shading
(I also changed the colors)

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:23:49 pm
thanks for the replies guys, glad im doing something right! Ive just finished doing some work on MRWH now based on your feedback.

wow stava, that looks great. what did you do to the colours exactly? add more grey but then keep the contrast between shades the same? it looks a lot more realistic than my original, you made me realise the colours i used kind of attack the eyes a bit. The face is really cool, but you made him look mean! :D my guys a bit of a goofball :) definitely gave me some ideas for the face though, like the placement of shadow. i also used your idea for blotchy/dappled skin texture, it suits him really well.

banding is really hard for me to spot sometimes (didnt even know that was the name for it until today), and i dont always think some of it looks too bad when it is pointed out! but you are right there was some awful banding in there that did NOT look good. To my eyes, ive had a good crack at the worst bits, what do you guys think?

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:16:09 pm
I think the issue is that you are moving your highlight down in the pale colors when the highlight is supposed to have more contrast than shadow..
Also I think on the skin it would be smart to move more towards blue in shadow and in highlight to yellow :P

I don't really know much about colors but I think this is the problem in yours:

mine:

hopefully somebody corrects me if I'm wrong  :-[

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:00:43 pm
that sounds right, thanks for that tip ive not really been putting too much though into the colours, but i really should.

added more contrast to the highlights and a bit of a greenness, he looks preeetty slimey now!!

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:57:58 pm
It's because you made the highlight way too bright haha

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:20 am
Maybe something like this?  ???

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 03:37:37 pm
thanks for the input guys. i toned down the highlights, i also added another shade colour to the body and reshaped the right leg (our right). I then added a little girl trying to give him her lollipop awwww. tried a bit of dithering for the sake of it! Any thoughts?

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 03:04:18 pm
So i decided to animate this guy breathing just for the sake of it, and then i realised the left hand (our left) seemed a bit weird. So ive been redrawing it in a few different ways, stubby fingers sharper fingers, balled up and hanging loose, any thoughts fellas?