AuthorTopic: GR#128 - Battlescar - Sideview Gameart & Animation  (Read 55500 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Battlescar WIP [C+C please]

Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 03:41:51 am
Thankyou for taking the time to edit.
Lots of good stuff, especially that foreground column I hadn't considered.

I also wanted more structure and less perspective, but I kinda got caught up aiming for ideal tileability.
Here's my logic:

The red line being the actual path/solid (still fiddling with that ramp location), with the green being what i marked out to line up with the grid.

Notice with your edit the ground meets the wall in the middle of the tile?

I was trying to avoid stuff like this to reduce the number of tiles and increase their re-usability and options for variations.
For example I figured if I ended the back end of the ground at a grid line, then I can have the option of a either flat wall there, or something different like a large archway (with more ground and stuff behind).
As it is in your example, I would need double the number tiles to get this result, then multiplied by possibly several combinations of ground and background tiles :yell:

Anyone know any tips or examples on handling this better?
Right now it feels like a trade-off between aesthetics and funcionality.

EDIT: I hadn't considered using multi/sub tiles which I can have in the engine.
This way I could have most commonly used tiles as a single but spit some of them into 2 when I want variations.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:12:09 am by Decroded »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 08:40:41 am
sub-tiles are indeed useful for such situations.Or tiles that are only partly opaque and two planes of tiles which you will scroll synchronously.

I find the foreground pillar very interesting artistically speaking, but don't forget it's a blind spot for your player. Treat it as such. (personnally, I'd keep it for places that are inherently safe or I'd make sure that monsters that ambush there leave a hint like claws that could be noticed and needn't to be learnt by trial/error -- at least on the 'default route' of the game).

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: June 18, 2013, 08:55:42 am
Yeah thanks thats kinda what put me off doing that earlier.
In the case of something like the pillar I will probably make it fade in opacity when anything get really close.