AuthorTopic: GR#128 - Battlescar - Sideview Gameart & Animation  (Read 55188 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

GR#128 - Battlescar - Sideview Gameart & Animation

on: September 17, 2012, 01:55:33 pm
Game art for my project codename Battlescar (because I haven't thought of a proper name yet!).

Old thread - http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=11587.msg120144#msg120144

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:34:08 pm by Decroded »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Platformer animations [WIP]

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:25:03 am
And here is my first sword attack animation rough draft.
Appreciate any feedback on anything that looks off or tips to improve.

EDIT: Just noticed the jerks back too fast so will work on that next.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:28:03 am by Decroded »

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Re: Platformer animations [WIP]

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:59:22 am
One quick thing I noticed is that the leg moving right really SNAPS out to its full extended position in both steps of the run. (Between Frames 3 and 4, and 9 and 10) It's a lot of movement in a frame, so it's pretty jarring. Here's a quick edit of the first step that's hopefully helpful. I broke the palette in the process, though. :-[

This one just loops the step I edited. Mine on right.

Here's one with all 12 frames, but I only touched frames 2 and 3, so the snap between 9 and 10 still exists.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:06:24 am by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:20:22 pm
Thanks for that.
I might basically redo that animation since I think their isn't enough "contrast" in the motion and I think I should lean him forward  more.

Now I've spent some time on this sprite below.

Is it too small now for a 320x240 game?
I'm trying to make it look better but I'm going cross-eyed here >.< so appreciate any advice.
I want to get this looking good as a reference for improving the sword animation and adding some new ones...

Thanks!

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 07:49:10 am
I'm getting the vibes it's a bit too dark, the colours make him look like he's not in the right frame of focus or something weird to my eyes, because you've got lighting that would work better with a tad more vibrance, maybe I'm crazy, here's an edit to portray what I mean, your original is in the middle.

if he is in foreground focus now (I mean the usual player position in any sidescroller) then he seems a bit dark and dull, and those highlights aren't entirely justifiable with such low values, specularity and highlights are only present in lights, so it just seems off to have signs of light when it's so dim and dark. makes it look odd and slightly flat or just off

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 01:13:43 pm
Thats really great colour edit I appreciate it, I need to go back over it with some brighter colours.
I had been working on the animation a little here.

Besides it beind too dark I'm after some feedback on the animation.
I removed one frame near the start and added more after the attack to try to emphasise it properly.

And here is the first frame that just shows the direction I'm headed with detailing it.

Started this alternate animation too as a different sword slash, while its very early I'd appreciate any comments on how to make it (the postures or whatever) less...crap?

Thanks.
There will be a colour edit soon too...

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:35:29 pm
Thats really great colour edit I appreciate it, I need to go back over it with some brighter colours.
I had been working on the animation a little here.

Besides it beind too dark I'm after some feedback on the animation.
I removed one frame near the start and added more after the attack to try to emphasise it properly.

And here is the first frame that just shows the direction I'm headed with detailing it.

Started this alternate animation too as a different sword slash, while its very early I'd appreciate any comments on how to make it (the postures or whatever) less...crap?

Thanks.
There will be a colour edit soon too...

Thats nice update!

I borrowed this from ptoing ... I really thing this help with running animation.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:37:04 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 02:59:03 pm
Thanks Beetle, I actually was using that already :P
Been following your autumn thread too its looking really great.

Anyway I started going over the sword animation again and added the new colours (I'm hopeless with colours so just used Grim's suggestion for now???).
I'm going for a swinging attack now which probably fits in better and is more usable in my game.
Next I think it needs a few frames added after the attack to smooth it out.

I wish I could work faster, I get so caught up fiddling back and forward with clusters trying to avoid banding and such but find this difficult to do efficiently.
Any useful tips or links about this would really help me...
Cheers.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 03:58:33 pm
frame #2 in the "timeline" view (with the blade hiding the eyes) looked a good idea to provide smoothness, but it looks like the rendered animation doesn't use it ...
or is it just me ?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:45:08 am
Thanks, I lost it somewhere between photoshop and photobucket  ???
Fixed:

Now feel like it just needs more frames after the strike to smooth it out and bring it back to the ready stance.
Once I've done that I want to make alternate frames for 2 hit combo where sword slash is opposite direction (from up-away to down-towards), but I have no idea what to do with the footwork yet.
Then onto a 3rd hit power/finishing strike  :crazy:

Also pretty keen if anyone has suggestions on how to make the "slash" thing look better?
I just want to start with a basic one for now but later will have some variants for fire damage, frost damage etc.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:05:39 am by Decroded »