AuthorTopic: Greyshifting  (Read 9546 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Greyshifting

Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 11:08:19 pm
Yeah, I still do not quite get whether it is just shading or if it means that the colour gets greyer, as in desaturated.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 11:12:16 pm
Everything that has hueshifting is polychromatic, but not everything that is polychromatic has hueshifting. So no, it's not an synonym.
Explain your case?
Polychromatic can be used to describe the changes in color. It doesn't necessarily mean simply multicolored(without an evident transition between them).

So grey-shifting is hue-shifting in which one color at some point is neutral?
That seems a bit overly specific to warrant its own term.
hue isn't regarded during grey-shifting. It's just the changes in brightness.. or the blending of white and black.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 11:14:20 pm
Yeah, I still do not quite get whether it is just shading or if it means that the colour gets greyer, as in desaturated.
Colour/hue can't become greyer.
If anything, a grey color would be a blended one such as green,orange,violet,etc.. in relation to the color spectrum.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 11:17:00 pm
Alex, I do not feel like discussing semantics (or anything) with you really. Hue is an aspect of colour, just as value or saturation are.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 11:17:55 pm
If anything, a grey color would be a blended one such as green,orange,violet,etc.. in relation to the color spectrum.

Alex, colors lose chroma and saturation all the time, to the point that they lose their identity and become pure value, or grey. You are being needlessly cryptic, which is ironic because you are trying to push for clarity in acts of hue shifting.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 11:24:59 pm
Alex, I do not feel like discussing semantics (or anything) with you really. Hue is an aspect of colour, just as value or saturation are.
You aren't looking at colors in the same way I am, so I'm not surprised you find it difficult to understand. The way you are thinking of color is by identifying the construct of those visual phenomenon that layer together into a blended impure state. So you aren't looking at the Pure color/hue that I am referring to.

Alex, colors lose chroma and saturation all the time, to the point that they lose their identity and become pure value, or grey. You are being needlessly cryptic, which is ironic because you are trying to push for clarity in acts of hue shifting.
I'm not sure what your point is?

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 11:26:38 pm
It should be explained more, why would you want to explain it less?
Because we don't have an infinite amount of time. Every time we type AA instead of antialiasing, we save time. Every time we type antialiasing instead of its definition we save time. If anyone doesn't understand any of these terms, and for whatever reason can't find the definitions, they can ask, and we'll answer, losing the saved time. But then they'll never have to ask again saving time in the future.

When things takes less time to write, we're more likely to write them. Having to explain every pixel art specific technique in every post would certainly make me less likely to post.

Tetris is much less interpretive a medium than art
Granted. But I said EVERY niche group, just used Tetris as an example. How about various law terms, psychology terms, anything else terms? They all exist for the reasons I stated.

Hue-shifting doesn't represent something that is made up
Then why do you question the validity of its use?
so those who could learn more without the term may be encouraged to follow it blindly.
No more so than almost any other term, in any other thing. Using lots of contrast ain't always a good idea, nor hue shifting, nor avoiding tangents. I'm not sure why you take so much issue with this specific term.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 11:34:59 pm
The way you are thinking of color is by identifying the construct of those visual phenomenon that layer together into a blended impure state.

Again, you cannot claim to know such an absolute. It posits that you have an absolute knowledge and understanding of ptoing's mind through some sort of prescience or his perfect communication. Neither can be true are consistent with (my) common understanding of the world as sufficient evidence has not been provided to verify their existence. Neither the ability to read minds nor the ability to communicate purely (doubly so through internet forums!) are things that I believe could exist.

That actually gets me excited. I know Helm did some writing about using grey as a sort of magic tone, as something that plays off the colours around it to seem to take on a hue that it doesn't actually take on. That is an idea I'd like to see explored / explained, but it probably isn't as intricate or complicated as I want it to be :(

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 11:36:01 pm
Kasumi, I would think that being concise with the way we explain things would enhance the critique and benefit everyone more than simply our own concern for time. I don't see why it is so difficult to agree with this. If a person is that concerned for time regarding writing anti-aliased versus aa, then chances are they may be quick to overlook other things as well in their haste to make a point.

Hue-shifting doesn't represent something that is made up
Then why do you question the validity of its use?
Because the understanding behind what it represents is masked by the blind use of it. We're better served seeking details regarding what it was intended to explore. We shouldn't use it as an end to a means for our own convenience while at the same time a detriment to others who are meant to learn from how we critique.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 11:41:16 pm
The way you are thinking of color is by identifying the construct of those visual phenomenon that layer together into a blended impure state.

Again, you cannot claim to know such an absolute. It posits that you have an absolute knowledge and understanding of ptoing's mind through some sort of prescience or his perfect communication. Neither can be true are consistent with (my) common understanding of the world as sufficient evidence has not been provided to verify their existence. Neither the ability to read minds nor the ability to communicate purely (doubly so through internet forums!) are things that I believe could exist.
Look at the facts regarding color and you'll see better ways to explain it that represent it more truthfully. This is what I'm attempting to bring to attention whether my assessments of what ptoing has said is completely accurate, I can only judge what he has conveyed. If it conveys inaccurately to what I know as fact, I'll try to clarify the discrepancies. I don't see what you find wrong with that.

That actually gets me excited. I know Helm did some writing about using grey as a sort of magic tone, as something that plays off the colours around it to seem to take on a hue that it doesn't actually take on. That is an idea I'd like to see explored / explained, but it probably isn't as intricate or complicated as I want it to be :(
What you're referring to is chroma. http://dba.med.sc.edu/price/irf/Adobe_tg/models/munsell.html
Seeing complementary colors appear within greys next to a color is due to optics and the eyes.