AuthorTopic: Exploring further into the forbidden realm  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Lóng

• Sometimes the scary spider is just a pile of dust.
    • View Profile

Exploring further into the forbidden realm

on: September 10, 2012, 06:47:51 pm
Inspired by last weeks challenge on PJ, I got the Idea to pixel the usual suspects in regards of getting pixels into trouble, It features a character solely made out of bands the second one has pillow shading(yeah I know that's not a pixel-specific issue) applied everywhere on the third one I'm going to attempt to maximize the jaggedness of the lines while still trying to retain the form(still very rough) and the last one is going to be an attempt to maximize the noisiness of noise somehow similar to this:

First 2 are done unless there are suggestions on maximizing their attributes.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Exploring further into the forbidden realm

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:07:41 pm
I like this idea you have going.
the second one seems to have some hueshifting too, but I like the greyshifting more on the first one. The greyshifting on the second one is alright, but a bit uniform.
The background doesn't have enough greyshifting.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:09:56 pm by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:33:07 pm
Interesting idea, but not sure how much rewarding to do.

Offline Lóng

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:19:32 pm
@Alex:
The colors are fill ins taken from an old sprite Ill hopefully come up with a proper palette, also just to make sure grey-shifting ==  changing the RGB-Values equally?

@Lachie:
The only way to find out is to dredge it out of the lake and get it appraised.

Update:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:31:41 pm by Lóng »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:32:50 pm
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:47:05 pm by AlexHW »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 07:00:12 pm
I think the idea has legs :y:

The first guy with only horizonal banding effects as scan-line dither really, being so consistant. How about some angled banding, more isolated 'fat pixel' clusters and outline hugging? Exampled in Cure's tutorial here. May I suggest the nefarious duo of mega-blurry AA overkill and no contrast eyeburn-pallette to add to your line-up, if you're looking to expand.

@Alex: replying to someone else's thread just to drag out some disagreement from elsewhere is not cool, please don't.

Offline Lóng

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 07:11:55 pm
There are isolated fat pixels(the eyes , the buttons) and even some staircases, but I know what you mean, tried to fix it  temporarily with shifting around colors and adding a double hugging outline, will experiment some more soon.

I've read Cure's tutorial several times, but it doesn't hurt to do so every once in a while.

Tried my hand at blurry aa, turned out more bandy than blurry, won't keep it most likely, but was fun to do anyway.

Regarding the palette as mentioned this one is temporary, I thought of having the final one with fully saturated colors aswell, but I don't find that as distracting as it should be, maybe if I can figure out which color-combination are generally regarded as unpleasant to look at and have them fully saturated fully contrasted it'll work out, the problem is I can't seem to find any thing about "ugly" color combinations all the tutorials/articles I've encountered so far deal with harmonious and pleasant color-combos.   

Update:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:12:16 pm by Lóng »