AuthorTopic: Harry Sullivan  (Read 14364 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Harry Sullivan

Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 01:27:10 am
I noticed the hands size as well, but I thought it gave him a sense of power. However, if you were going for a less experienced fighter, a smaller fist might better portray his lack of fighting ability.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 01:28:51 am
He seems to be in slowmotion now.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Khris_2

• IKUZE, CRARKUU!
    • View Profile
    • Cross Changer!

Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 02:02:40 am
This is still a sketch, so any weird sizes and whatnot is due to that. I'll see about cutting out some frames/start the step at a later moment to make it seem faster. Anymore comments before I do all the fun stuff?

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 05:28:34 am
I haven't read all the comments, but it seems as if everything is moveing at the same speed increments.
If you look at movement of figures, you can spot areas where part of one thing is moveing slower while another part of the same thing is moving faster. What you have to do is gage how things should change in relation to the whole movement, and not in a incremental way, because everything increments, you don't need to show the increments, you need to show the action.
hope that helps.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 09:07:35 am
Looking good. I've been following this thread since you posted the first picture. The newest animation looks great, but as Alex Hanson-White mentioned, it needs a change in timing.

Personally, I think the individual parts of the animation look very good, but I'd like you to experiment with a different timing. I'm in no position to physically try it right now, but if I were to move into a pose like that, I'd probably start lifting the leg forward first, as the hands came out of the pockets, then as I'm putting the foot down again, I'd lift my hands into position in a slightly quicker movement. Try that, or the other way around. Or any othre combination, as long as he's not doing everything at the exact same time.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 01:33:52 am
Alright, I'm back and with a completely new animation. I got pretty annoyed with what I was trying to do and ditched the pose completely and decided to make him come off as calm, with his hands still in his pockets. So here's my latest:

I could definitely use some good critique on this before finalizing. First off, I'd like to say that I'll probably take out the thing he's doing with his feet, getting up on his toes. Looks kind of silly on a second inspection, like he's a kid or something. If you guys agree, that'd be nice to know.

Anyways, thanks for all the previous comments on what I was trying to do before. If nothing else, I got a lot of great tips and practice out of those first few messups.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 02:18:03 am
for subtle movements, its unlikely to get much change in the fabric if it's loose around the figure.
You have to figure out where the fabric is getting pulled and pushed. It would be much easier if you had him throw away his coat as an intro, it would make the rest of teh animations easier to do(but if you want the extra challenge, keep it)..
The tiptoe thing is kinda odd i think..

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 02:29:47 am
It would be much easier if you had him throw away his coat as an intro, it would make the rest of teh animations easier to do(but if you want the extra challenge, keep it)..
You know, I'm not sure why I never thought of doing this, but it makes me go :D thinking of how easier things would be.

EDIT: Totally unrelated, but I just noticed that I have two accounts...
Guess I signed up before and forgot about this one. :/

EDIT2: If you check my latest animation, you'll see I got rid of the foot movement and tweaked the speed slightly. Looks better, I think.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:28:43 am by Khris »

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 03:54:54 pm

This time around, I've started the shading, specifically on the left side (his right side). The light source is above and somewhat on the left, I think (hope). I'm not so sure if the flap things (can't remember the name of them, they're on the shoulders) should be the same color as the rest of the coat, I'll have to check a reference later.

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 29, 2006, 08:43:18 pm
Flap things? Do you mean his jacket lapels?

Anyway, I like the sigh sorta animation. I hope in the final there'll be some more time in between each one, because considering how much movement is going on, I wouldn't be able to continue on like that for long without getting seirously light-headed.

In any case, I think he should have suspenders. It seems to just fit the style. Especially if he takes his coat off. Another small detail you might want to consider is the middle line of his shirt. Find a reference of someone wearing a white shirt tucked in, and look at the line down the center as it goes under the belt. It's not grey fade to black. It stays very light-coloured. Or at least coloured similarly to the surrounding shirt.