AuthorTopic: [WIP] 8-Bit 16x16 2-Frame GBC RPG Sprite [C+C]  (Read 11725 times)

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

[WIP] 8-Bit 16x16 2-Frame GBC RPG Sprite [C+C]

on: September 08, 2012, 09:49:16 pm
(Specifics in Title)

Back working on a small project, and just having some trouble getting the base character sprite perfected.
I have the South-bound animation working GREAT. It's just the East and North-bound animations that are giving me trouble.

Does anybody have advice or edits they can provide to give me a hand?
Every little bit is appreciated!

[Incentive:] Will compensate those who help me finish with products from Steam upon completion if needed or asked (conditions apply).

[The Sprite:]

[Explanation & Direction:]

The torso is black for a black sweater (simple and easy to replace).
The leggings however is what's mainly giving me trouble, mainly with shading rather than forming an outline. I try to fill in the area for pants and start from there, but it never seems "right."
The second frame of the East-bound sprite (where the legs are apart) is pretty much done, it's the first frame that's a headache. Been working and erasing for 5 days straight now.
Everything else is pretty much done, as far as perspective, style. The hands are probably the only other thing that might need a bit of editing, but as far as I can tell, it's maybe only a pixel here or there off.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:54:51 am by Vakinox »

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] 8-Bit 16x16 2-Frame GBC RPG Sprite [C+C]

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:50:37 am
Hello,

These sprites are pretty cute. For the north one, I would suggest a third frame in between, or maybe two. A lot of sprites this small do just have 2 frames, however, because this character moves so much, I think more frames would solve your problem.

The same goes for the east, although you should draw the hands in both frames. It looks like he wears a cloak right now, make sure to keep some details intact.

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:42:37 am
I would suggest a third frame in between, or maybe two. A lot of sprites this small do just have 2 frames, however, because this character moves so much, I think more frames would solve your problem.

Already done and attempted. It actually just makes the animation just look more fluid if done right and has no effect on helping finish up the sprite itself (shading, editing, etc.). It probably would help if 2/3 of the frames were done, by gazing at what's left needed to be filled-in with transitions from  frame to frame, but this isn't the case (most of the bottom half on the North animation is far too incomplete). Also, the sprite takes up too much of the 16x16 box dimensions to make an appropriate "standing still" in-between frame.

Here's an example of what it would produce:

Really it just creates a "skating effect" on the final product, and provides almost little to no transition help from frame to frame, which I think would probably be eliminated if the feet were drawn closer together, but then that just creates an added trouble of disproportional legs.

As with the East-bound animation, what you're probably are referring to is the effect given off provided by the unfinished 1st frame, not the individual frames them-self. I'm pretty sure it has more to do with no leggings or arm placement on the first frame rather than an incomplete 2nd frame also. Here's an older version with arms and torso placement for reference:

For added reference, what I'm looking to accomplish is something along the lines of the advice given here for 2-frame sprites:

http://manningkrull.com/pixel-art/walking.php

Thanks for the input though, it definitely gave me some things to consider looking over again.
Still hard at work at creating another update... please provide any more assistance or help if possible. Immensely appreciated :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:02:18 am by Vakinox »

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:30:50 pm
Here, I made a quick little sprite. Maybe it can give you some ideas.

Offline shane

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:16:33 pm
I like but are you going for that limping/skating look? It would look less awkward if it was like 'buddy90's' one :)

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:00:45 pm
I like but are you going for that limping/skating look? It would look less awkward if it was like 'buddy90's' one :)

Thanks.

As for the problems with my sprite: As stated in the previous post, the small 16x16 dimensions provide little room for a 4 frame animation in that perspective (Translation: No, it's not intentional).
No matter what is done in edits to the sprite for the "standing-still" frame in the 4 frame animation, the legs will either be close together (creating the "skating effect") or become disproportional (legs become messed up).

The 2-frame South-bound animation in the original first post I made is finished and is the one I'm using. I'm looking for advice and edits on the North-bound and East-bound sprite animations.
Plus 2-frame animations was what I was set on making while starting the project. I will gladly accept 4-frame animation advice if it's possible and simply convert it down to a 2-frame animation later on.

[The Two Animations I'm Really Looking for Help On:]

Two things wrong with buddy90's animation:

1.) It's in the wrong perspective. It's moving forward towards the screen, not down it.
2.) The feet are never separated in any frames (and a few pixels off here and there, but that's okay for a base sprite).

It looks great for a base animation that's needed to move towards the screen, but it's not at all what I'm looking for...
I can definitely put it to good use later on though, implementing it some way or another.

However, it's back to the drawing board for now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:08:33 pm by Vakinox »

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:24:05 pm
[Update:]

Been working on fixing the East-bound animation all night now.
So far, I find I'm getting closer, but it's still no cigar.

I tried to create a spinning animation of the character again, in hoping that the southwest/southeast frames would provide help in editing the East/West-bound animations.

It helped a little bit, but not as well as I would've hoped.

As it's clear to see... efforts have still been fruitless in trying to create an alright animation:

Is it getting any better though?
Words of advice, edits, anything and everything is welcomed.

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 04:43:48 pm
In my opinion this is way better than that forward head tilt Slow it down just a tad though.

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 05:04:47 pm
Thanks for the advice :)

I slowed it down a bit more, and edited some things:

EDIT2:

Getting any better?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:23:24 pm by Vakinox »

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 07:14:43 pm
[Update:]

I've edited some more on both the East and North-bound animations.
Also completed the Spin animation to help with editing other frames.

Running into problems still though with the East and North-bound animations.
Hand placement on the East-bound animation is becoming a major pain.
The North-bound animation has a problem pants-wise. It seems they standing still rather than moving.

Any advice?