AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134474 times)

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - New tree

Reply #170 on: February 03, 2013, 07:07:42 pm
You asked "which one is better", expect a vague answer. No need to get pissy about it.

If we don't look at the colors at all, the new one is a lot better because the leaves poke out of the main shape -> more interesting edges.
It also looks more freed from the ball shape of the original clump.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #171 on: February 03, 2013, 07:54:54 pm
You asked "which one is better", expect a vague answer. No need to get pissy about it.

Yeah its was my fault that i didn't explain it  better.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #172 on: February 04, 2013, 03:28:35 pm
hey

Just wanted to add that the foliage composition is more interesting now because it's not as a regular pattern and it differs in shape and size. I don't know what you are aiming but I really think you should decide on an overall style before continuing any further.

I think both the trees work, but you can't compare the old one to the new one in matters of better/worse when it is a matter of style.

So if you made the simplistic tree with the same unregular pattern as the more detailed one, I can't see why any of them would be better, or worse.

Another thing that hit me, that actually looks better than the other, was the colours of the new tree.

GL!

//coffee

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - New foliage

Reply #173 on: February 06, 2013, 05:21:13 am
Hello guys  :) I starded working with this foliage again. Wich one is better the new or the old? New one looks more like a snes styled and realistic and the old one is more simplistic.

I really like these new leaves I'd like to see some more foliage done like that please :y:

I think you should design an actual scene now though. So pick an area of some consequence to the story of the game and mock up a screen shot so you can get all the elements and textures to work together rather than just the repeated generic tiles your going for now.
I think you're getting to the point now where you can design a few different tile sets for different areas and have some nice varied looks rather than struggling over and over with what is the best possible way to do one particular tile set.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #174 on: February 09, 2013, 10:54:19 am
hey

Just wanted to add that the foliage composition is more interesting now because it's not as a regular pattern and it differs in shape and size. I don't know what you are aiming but I really think you should decide on an overall style before continuing any further.

Yeah I agree that, I should decide overall style but Im trying now find my style for my game. Thank you.

I think both the trees work, but you can't compare the old one to the new one in matters of better/worse when it is a matter of style.

Yeah I agree that you cannot compare style but I made the composion ( I think)  better than my old one.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #175 on: February 09, 2013, 10:58:41 am
I'd keep the new style for front bushes (if it was a side-scroller) or places where you want functionally extra detail to attract the look. Imho, having a whole forest with such detailed leaves, esp. in a top-view, while trees are mostly dead places will not lead in improved experience because it would produce too much "noise" around the player and NPCs.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - New foliage

Reply #176 on: February 09, 2013, 11:10:36 am
Hello guys  :) I starded working with this foliage again. Wich one is better the new or the old? New one looks more like a snes styled and realistic and the old one is more simplistic.

I really like these new leaves I'd like to see some more foliage done like that please :y:

I think you should design an actual scene now though. So pick an area of some consequence to the story of the game and mock up a screen shot so you can get all the elements and textures to work together rather than just the repeated generic tiles your going for now.
I think you're getting to the point now where you can design a few different tile sets for different areas and have some nice varied looks rather than struggling over and over with what is the best possible way to do one particular tile set.

Thank you very much! I have been practising my color theory and foliage pattern lately :crazy:. I wanted make beautiful athomsperic autumn forest ruins with beautiful variant of colors. Its hards for me to build it becuse the rpg graphic stuff is new to me. I need learn more to make it happen.

But I am now well on track and I am pleased with the practising results.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:35:53 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #177 on: February 09, 2013, 11:47:49 am
I'd keep the new style for front bushes (if it was a side-scroller) or places where you want functionally extra detail to attract the look. Imho, having a whole forest with such detailed leaves, esp. in a top-view, while trees are mostly dead places will not lead in improved experience because it would produce too much "noise" around the player and NPCs.

Should I make more smaller leaves or reduce the details of leaves?  I aim for more detailed styled of graphics like a chrono trigger and Seiken denetsu 3.

This forest from chrono trigger has a small leaves and lot of noises but it still looks awesome.

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/ChronoTrigger-600AD-GuardiaForest.png
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:15:20 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #178 on: February 09, 2013, 07:24:34 pm
Should I make more smaller leaves or reduce the details of leaves?  I aim for more detailed styled of graphics like a chrono trigger and Seiken denetsu 3.

You removed the latest version from your last post, didn't you? With some color variations in it. It also had a little less detail on the leaves, and was, in my opinion, a perfect mixture.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #179 on: February 09, 2013, 08:42:15 pm

You removed the latest version from your last post, didn't you? With some color variations in it. It also had a little less detail on the leaves, and was, in my opinion, a perfect mixture.

Yes I did  ::) .. Do you mean this one? I removed little bit of details and added new leaf shape.