AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134505 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #90 on: October 02, 2012, 04:45:54 pm
if you look at the bottom half, of this lofty mountain map, it has the "Mt Tamarrach" layout, with large vertical walls. You will note that chunks of rocks here are aligned in one direction (vertical), and the base of each "spike" could be going further down "behind" the "lower" spikes.

E.g. imho, working from gives it more a "cliff" look.

But most of rpg game rock have that Mt Tamarrach layout and Im going to make it as well and my old one have it too..

random directions is fine because it does not matter where you put these cracks
That's true for random pile of rocks that had cracks from random reasons.
If instead you want to render a cliff -- a large part of rock that for some reason had been extruded from the ground by some geological process -- then the rocks are initially part of the same strata, cristals are laid out along one major direction, and the eroding force (wind, sand, water, mana ...) is likely to blow along one major direction, exploiting inherent weakness of the cristals to fracture the structures, hence lower diversity in the cracks orientation.
cwill always have certain direction
Now, of course, this only make sense if you aim for that type of terrain

I tough that rock can crack on all direction.. If thats true then It  does not matter if i make random cracks..

Tiny update:: Now the flat texture looks more like a cliff..  Im trying now reduce some highlight... oH Dam is this double post??
It was a double post. - Crow

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:01:01 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #91 on: October 03, 2012, 05:39:08 pm
Really nice improvements here all round, despite your protestations earlier that you preferred a simpler style this is becoming really rather lush and naturalistic :P.

New rocks look great technique-wise, it is quite hard to see how it'll work as an overhead view cliff without the surrounding tileset though, I would try roughing things out with place-holder tiles whilst working, in order to avoid potential issues.

The horizontal tiling shown earlier looks a bit awkward for squeezing in smaller pieces towards the join. Also, having grey stand-alone rocks next to brown rock-faces is a bit strange in terms of continuity. I'd consider the grey for the cliffs also, because there's already a lot of brown in play, but again it's best to see how it works as a scene.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #92 on: October 03, 2012, 06:37:51 pm

Little update: New Rock color!! Better?

Really nice improvements here all round, despite your protestations earlier that you preferred a simpler style this is becoming really rather lush and naturalistic :P.

:) thank you.. I really dont know how to make pretty looking simple rock texture that would fit my background..

The horizontal tiling shown earlier looks a bit awkward for squeezing in smaller pieces towards the join. Also, having grey stand-alone rocks next to brown rock-faces is a bit strange in terms of continuity. I'd consider the grey for the cliffs also, because there's already a lot of brown in play, but again it's best to see how it works as a scene.

Ahh that was a sketch ... I wantend only show more cliff look rock and im going to fix those thing later..

New rocks look great technique-wise, it is quite hard to see how it'll work as an overhead view cliff without the surrounding tileset though, I would try roughing things out with place-holder tiles whilst working, in order to avoid potential issues.

Im really stuck now.. My new rocks looks very shiny and large and I want make more detailed and realistic rock but i dont know how make them more detailed... As you
 can see this part, I get inspiration from Chrono trigger rock mountain..  Can I mix them with my other rocks? Or should i Make every rock with same style?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:11:20 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #93 on: October 03, 2012, 11:33:40 pm
The part you outlined in red looks much better than the rest of the rock. I would make the whole rock wand like the top part.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #94 on: October 04, 2012, 01:31:52 am
I don't know, I think you might be dwelling on things that ought not be dwelled on. What you have already seems pretty solid as far as aesthetics go, and adding more detail may just make it seem too busy and a stark contrast to the style you have already set with the rest of the work. Is there any reason you want to go for something more detailed?

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #95 on: October 04, 2012, 01:43:45 am
You should decrease gloss and the amount of light at the bottom of the cliff. It should get darker when descending.

Something like this
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:31:19 am by Sohei »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #96 on: October 04, 2012, 02:16:34 am
You should decrease gloss and the amount of light at the bottom of the cliff. It should get darker when descending.

Something like this

Can't see the image, but that depends entirely on whether or not he wants to add more tiles. The way he has it now(as far as I know) allows him to tile the cliffs infinitely vertically. In order to apply a descending darkness he'd have to add more tiles every time he wants to make his cliffs a little higher.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #97 on: October 04, 2012, 05:27:23 am

Something like this

Imo thats looks much much better and realistic.. I love it more than the shiny one.

I don't know, I think you might be dwelling on things that ought not be dwelled on. What you have already seems pretty solid as far as aesthetics go, and adding more detail may just make it seem too busy and a stark contrast to the style you have already set with the rest of the work. Is there any reason you want to go for something more detailed?

Reason why I wantend to make more detailed rocks is beacause old one was too shiny :blind:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:54:37 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #98 on: October 04, 2012, 08:28:33 am
I thought about something like that when looking at the lofty mountain map, and then I interprete them as

<-  :o such a high wall to climb up!

<-  :-\ such a deep hole on my way... Is there a bridge nearby to go on the other side ?

In other term, the darker area is more easily read as a hole than as an obstacle.

But on the other hand, it looks to me that you already have some material for building a cliff that would fit nicely with your tileset:

(okay, it requires more tweaking that my quickly-fried edit, clearly)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #99 on: October 04, 2012, 10:30:56 am
I thought about something like that when looking at the lofty mountain map, and then I interprete them as

<-  :o such a high wall to climb up!

Wall? Imo I Does not look like wall at all.. Its 1 part of the cliff..  http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-17/dq6-town-concept1.html Dragon quest have little bit sames style rock that I have.

<-  :-\ such a deep hole on my way... Is there a bridge nearby to go on the other side ?

In other term, the darker area is more easily read as a hole than as an obstacle.

Hole really? New darker cliff looks more like a  darker obstacle  than hole to me.. I really dont see huge black hole there. If cliff is huge you cannot make  whole cliff without darker lower part. Of course you can but It does not look realistic... or I'm wrong  :lol:

(okay, it requires more tweaking that my quickly-fried edit, clearly)

That is pretty mess i really dont ike that..  :-X
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:41:58 am by Beetleking22 »