AuthorTopic: Mobile platform to Computer platform  (Read 5184 times)

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Mobile platform to Computer platform

on: September 06, 2012, 02:49:33 pm
I saw a topic on here earlier about how we should post our work in 1x and that we as pixel artists enjoy seeing it in 2x because we love pixels. But what about a mobile device? My phone, same with others, don't have a lot of space for pixels while my computer screen has nearly double. If I were to leave the player at 32x32 it would work well with a mobile device, but for a computer there would be a lot of negative space. Should I increase the player to 96x96 or should I keep the 32x32 aspect and work with the negative space? (Granted there is a lot of negative space at 96x96.)

Quick Example of roughly my screen resolution

32x32

96x96

Or do I just do 32x32 then scale up to the screen resolution the user has on their computer? (Could be awful with people who have giant screens)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:33:36 pm by XLR8ED »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Mobile platform to Computer platform

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:14 pm
I think whether or not you have your art scaled in your production is meaningless for posting on pixelation. One thing I have observed with art that is 2x or 3x is that it's a pain to edit. I'm much less motivated to edit a piece when I need 4 click to change what I believed to be a single pixel.

We zoom in and out depending of our own device's DPI, so that we have a precise idea of the features we'd like to comment or learn about. Imho, that should also motivate posters to limit the amount of "empty space" they put around they art (so that we could still be viewed on one screen when zoomed 3 or 4x without having to scroll first) whenever possible.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:44:53 pm
XLR8ED, what kind of aesthetics do you want in your game?.. what should be important visually?

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:22:19 am
XLR8ED, what kind of aesthetics do you want in your game?.. what should be important visually?
The plain that the character is on.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:35 am
The plain that the character is on.
What will be on that plane? Do you think it will be better represented with a broader view or a closer one?..

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 02:59:58 pm
Basically Enemies, Obstacles, NPCs, etc. But the background would be important too with Houses that can be entered and then the foreground would be important as an art asset....I really don't know...I can fill the negative space if I used a broader view, but even then 32x32 is pretty small on a computer screen.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 05:01:39 pm
What kind of game mechanics will this game have?.. how high will the player jump? how fast will it move? Do you need to see far ahead while you play, or is all the action within a close proximity to the player?

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 09:16:27 pm
The player will have some jumping to be done with jump puzzles and etc, I haven't written the physics down yet, Basically I want the player to move on a 2D plane that will include puzzles and enemies and etc. It's a lot like Scribblenauts in a sense.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 10:40:56 pm
well, I'd reduce the background space as much as possible unless you're doing something that requires hordes of enemies and rts elements.. So whatever gets you that result I would think would be best option since it allows you to focus on what is important to the game?

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:30:31 am
Alright yeah, the background would just be clouds, or whatever the environment is for that level. There wouldn't be a lot of enemies at once, at least 1-3, I was just thinking of the puzzle aspect so I would have like "How do I get over this gap?" then you would write something in, then it would come out of your box head and you would guide it to the place you would like it to be. I don't want there to be like, one part of the puzzle visible at a time, maybe 2 or so. I'll determine the size of gaps, puzzle mechanics and then figure out how I want the screen to be.