AuthorTopic: Am I going crazy here?  (Read 37296 times)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: Am I going crazy here?

Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 04:26:17 am
That's a strong point. Maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised. Then again, everyone ranked LttP lower than Grindea too. LttP is probably the cleanest looking example of pixel art on the planet. Ah, I don't know!
Just wanted to mention that old games typically have crowded screens out of the necessity of low-res. LttP is no exception, and Grindea definitely beats it in the dimension of expansiveness (which is saying something, since LttP is a game about exploration -- Miyamoto must have tried hard to make it feel expansive.).

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 06:55:04 pm
ALTP graphics are a bit too clean and simplistic, I definitely prefer SOG..
The graphics from Minish Cap are superior to both though :)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 10:32:51 pm
Looks pretty awful to me.   And yeah Link to the Past is nice and clean though for some reason I prefer Link's Awakening DX on GBC.  I never much cared for Minish Cap's graphics (or the game itself.  I found it massively unappealing).  And Seiken Densetsu 3 is my favorite looking game of that viewpoint for it's gorgeous tilework and palettes.  Sprites could be better though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:34:41 pm by Carnivac »
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 01:23:49 am
I wouldn't care less about what people think, except I'd like to sell my work someday. It's sad to know that to sell, I'd have to dumb down my art. From what I can see, people like nothing besides empty spaces, high resolutions, and straight ramps. It's a boring way to draw!
Relax.
You're making large assumptions over such a small poll of 10 people.
Instead of trying to understand what you consider negative tastes of others, try to understand how they can be used (or the opposite of what they are) in positive ways in your own art.

Helm makes good points that there is more to these images than purely pixel tech.
Games have many properties that will influence how people think about them and can alter what their opinion of each property is.
"The art is so amazing that the mediocre gameplay is worth it".
"The game play is so good that the crappy art is kind of charming".
That's why its good to have a team of diversified people for a game project.
One to focus on the expertise of the art, another to code features and functionality, another to make creative levels within limitations, maximize flow and reward, etc etc.

Also showing videos instead of stills might get completely different reactions.
Art in motion has a different feel.

The thought of getting to PPD's level one day
:lol:
I'm just some dude.
Don't worry about such things.
Just keep a clear mind, be humble, pace yourself, try new things, learn, make a plan, draw stuff and have fun.

only to have the audience go "bleah, why is the girl blue?! I'm playing something else instead!" is a little disheartening to me! Not every game should look like Farmville!
If you work at a studio you may not always have complete input on your work. You could be an asset artist for a concept artist, taking their designs and implementing them. Or you might have and even more specific job like only animation. This can pay good money and be a great learning experience.

If you'd rather do things on your own, find a way to go indie or get properly funded. You'll have more work but also more control. I'd still recommend having a small team.

Tell me how it is destructive?
Alex, I'd be happy to openly discuss this. What should we call the thread?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:47:49 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 01:43:00 am
Tell me how it is destructive?
Alex, I'd be happy to openly discuss this. What should we call the thread?
You're the one with an issue with it (I'm not entire sure what you find wrong with what I said even though I have suspicions)- you should be the one to determine the appropriate title for your thread.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 03:26:50 am
To be honest, looking at the images from a distance, the first screenshot that seiseki posted is more pleasing to me than the other examples. The depth is very pleasing and the bridge and trees have oddly good drawing to them.

Now, the pixel technique is horrific, but a non pixel artist won't really notice that. Sometimes hue shifting really appears to be something only artists like. For the normal person you have to actually be much more calculated and realistic so that they don't think the image is washed out or on the other side; garrish.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 05:38:47 pm
Sometimes hue shifting really appears to be something only artists like.

Definitely. I get a lot of complaints about having "odd" colors where they shouldn't be when I apply hue-shifting.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:55:56 pm by Dusty »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 08:17:15 pm
hue shifting is just a masked term someone made up to describe the mixing of two colors. All that color mixing is a result of is how light interacts with surfaces. If you understand how light works, then you won't use color in a cosmetic sense.

Edit: the more appropriate terms of; achromatic, monochromatic, and polychromatic should be used if you want to be technical about your art.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:25:16 pm by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 12:12:36 am
Hue shifting is not just about mixing 2 colours, it is transitioning a ramp from one colour to another, maybe even through more than one hue.

Also, what do you mean by "if you understand how light works, then you won't use color in a cosmetic sense."

So it there only "cosmetic" and "proper" or something? If you think that, that's a false dichotomy. Tho I am not saying you think that, just sounds a bit like it. There are many ways in which to use colour, symbolic, emotional, realistic, graphical, and to achieve different goals.

That said, hueshifting often is a bit overused by many pixel-artists, so I would agree to try and not overuse it.

Also that other stuff you listed there just means greyscale, single colour (as in one hue, many shades) and bunch of colours. So hue-shifted stuff would always be polychromatic, but not everything which is polychromatic necessarily employs hue shifts.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 12:26:54 am
Well on a computer screen, color is simply made of three different values of red, blue and green c: but then there is hue shifting and other things, but realistically, there are only three colors you see and your eye tells your brain that it sees yellow because that's what light looks like when it hits something yellow.