AuthorTopic: Sorcerer [WIP]  (Read 12186 times)

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Re: Sorcerer [WIP]

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 12:28:34 pm
I know this (sort of) contradicts what Carnivac said but I would lose the blue outline from the bottom of his cape and the feet, it doesn't make much sense.  ;) Maybe have the red glow blend smoother to the #091313 by adding that #261C26 and bring out the legs that way.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:34:09 pm by leroy »

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 12:35:28 pm
I added it so it shows the feet better
since Carnivac said the legs give the impression of what the body beneath the cloak looks like, and blue outline looked like good way to define the legs better

@Leroy
Made some small edits, does the cape/feet look better?
Also added a effect around the wizards staff, does it work ?

Edit:
@Leroy
hows this?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:03:59 pm by PixelPiledriver »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 06:00:21 pm
Some really nice effects work here, that chunky fire in particular :y:.

I've roughed in some ideas here for the background that I think could lend the image a little more drama: Other wizards in space for an element of open-ended narrative (reinforces relative scale & perspective nicely too), fleshing out the castle with some dark & foreboding openings and just nudging over the main wizard/nixing that distracting bit of fog in the corner to emphasise the circular flow.

Small character changes; I couldn't figure that tiny left arm out, so I sort of reinstated Hiuru's edit & also gave the hair more range for a glossier look.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:32:42 pm by Facet »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:15 pm
Everything looks good, but Im not sure how well its adding up.  Right now the wizard and background seem like seperate elements pasted together because they have totally different lighting.  The wizard has this blue light, but hes in a firey red inviornment.   Something about the blue lightning effects seems out of place too.  I dont think the purple effects around the wizard work for the same reasons.

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 07:24:44 pm
Some really nice effects work here, that chunky fire in particular :y:.

I've roughed in some ideas here for the background that I think could lend the image a little more drama: Other wizards in space for an element of open-ended narrative (reinforces relative scale & perspective nicely too), fleshing out the castle with some dark & foreboding openings and just nudging over the main wizard/nixing that distracting bit of fog in the corner to emphasise the circular flow.

Small character changes; I couldn't figure that tiny left arm out, so I sort of reinstated Hiuru's edit & also gave the hair more range for a glossier look.

Such a great edit ! Thank you !

I was really looking forward to your reply, but I lost the patience and uploaded it on PJ, however I removed it off PJ now since you inspired me to work on it some more  :)

Thank you once more  ;D

Edit:
I've been making a edit, it's heavily based (hope you don't mind) on yours but here it is so far:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:16:31 am by Stava »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 05:22:52 pm
Aw, thanks! :-*

It's looking great, I'm pleased you liked the idea, was hoping to provoke some more of that lovely swirly stuff :P.

Re: lighting; I don't think it's hurting the piece so much, facing away from the fire the figure would have be lit by an external source (the moon?) and/or lightning magics, so you could experiment with a contrasting cooler/darker palette perhaps.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 10:34:14 pm
I agree there is a lighting issue.

There is a strong warm lightsource in the bg, which should have some visible effect on the wizard. Did you maybe add red in his face and hand for this reason? Doesn't read as light, it's way too dark.
The staff itself is a lightsource, blue and near: it should also have a strong effect on the wizard. It could indeed be the main / only fg light-source.
Instead there is an undefined frontal white lightsource on the wizard which doesn't say anything about the story or context.

Actually, when I saw the first version of the sprite alone, I thought 'pillowshading'. It's not THAT bad of course  :o , but it does give off this same feeling of inconsistency.

Looks great anyway, I love how you mostly use 'natural' pixel angles.
Too much dithering in that sky though!

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 02:11:36 am
The lightning seems a little solid to me. I think that there could be a better buffer between lightning and red background (one of the olive greens?).
The wizard still has little interaction with the background. You could push the colours in the cloak towards red/purple to harmonise the two a bit more (especially since the clouds at the bottom are already highlighted towards purple anyway).
Here's an attempt at some kind of lighting, should obviously be pushed further with more dramatic shadows etc.

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 07:55:52 pm
does this work?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 02:00:41 pm
In Jeremy's edit, the lightning looked a little more like the guy was flying along and the lightning was being affected by this, dragging behind a little.
Your lightning seems "sudden" and doesn't help with the sense of motion.

Looking really cool tho btw.