AuthorTopic: portfolio website WIP (Updated!)  (Read 15388 times)

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Re: portfolio website WIP

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 06:37:44 pm

PS - Tiny Giant inspired lettering in the pic.

heh, thats cool with me.

Anyway, it's looking great, I wont comment on the pixels cuz I think they work well. My immediate reaction is that drop shadow is gonna be a nightmare to line up over a tiled background in HTML, I did something similar on when I built the website of the company I work for and as you can see I didnt bother with a background tile...

http://www.kgk-group.co.uk/

Another thing to think about is are the pages going to scale? so if you have more content the page gets longer, if so your gonna have to do something with the earth tiles to the side, cuz they might not work as the pages increased in length depending on your content.

As for a playable top, sounds like a nightmare, your basically having to do a game just for the top of your website and it'll have to be done in flash so theres all sorts of layout problems unless you do the whole thing in flash, I'd just stick with a few animations at the top, you could easily make it look like a platform game was going on just using animated gifs. Remember people are coming to your website to look at your work not to wait for a platform game to load that they never wanted to play in the 1st place, as nice an idea it may be.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 06:40:05 pm by Tinygiant »

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 07:01:38 pm
Ive given you some of my initial feed back on this sir indigo ^_^. Dont let the naysayers tell you that it has to be done in flash, we'll get you something up and working in javascript no problem. Also, if you want to avoid the whole frame/resize issue, i would suggest you plan to have your content contained with an inline frame, so you can scroll anything necessary while preserving the border (you can even have those drop-shadows the tiles push onto the content area overlap the content with translucency if you set it up correctly.

about the art itself, not only am i looking forward to a new sprite design, but also some more organic elements within the pgae itself, more plantlife perhaps, the boxes/crates seem out of place. also the boxes as they are colored now seem a bit too plasticky and not so much wood... perhaps on the sides you could shift hues to either a cyan or a magenta... and take the 'shine' highlights off the box, perhaps add some granular pixels to give it some texture.

One last thing looking at it, while i like the arcade-like effect of the title of the page itself, i am not getting the feeling that it really matches the rest of the stylized content on your site. i think something more subtle (yet equally as colorful) is achievable to make it look a bit more artful and flow with the composition of your site a bit  better? perhaps its not necessary though.

Edit*   Ahhh sorry Tiny g. i think 'naysay' has a negative connotation i didnt intend to imply. i do agree with you that the best approach to the whole 'portfolio' idea is to keep it as simple as possible. though if you decide youd like to add a feature to your site you feel makes it stand out, i think its certainly worth a shot, even if its novel or trivial in its functionality
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 08:15:06 pm by st0ven »

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 08:03:34 pm
I dont mean to naysay just saying that I've built a lot of website and I know from experience that you can get sidetracked concentrating on details when the most important thing in a portfolio website is that people see and have easy access to your work. If you can get this working then great I'll be the 1st to say how amazing it is, especally if you can work it so it's almost an interactive part of your portfolio that would be wicked, just keep it simple.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 11:57:36 pm
My only crit is the size of the site in general.  I can barely fit it on a 1280x1024 screen without scrolling around a bunch; I'd dedicate less space to that top banner and try to squeeze it all into a 1024x768 browser window.  Usually this means limiting it to approx. 800x600.  I think it is good to not require too much scrolling; its not a death knell or anything, just easier and cleaner if you don't have to bother!  the art looks cool though!

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 09:51:25 am
My only crit is the size of the site in general.  I can barely fit it on a 1280x1024 screen without scrolling around a bunch; I'd dedicate less space to that top banner and try to squeeze it all into a 1024x768 browser window.  Usually this means limiting it to approx. 800x600.  I think it is good to not require too much scrolling; its not a death knell or anything, just easier and cleaner if you don't have to bother!  the art looks cool though!
Huh? The image is 918x828, I don't see why you'd have to scroll any, especially on 1280x1024 (I stick with 1024x768 myself). Unless you mean in the actual thread, but that's just because the forum has an anti-stretch thing that puts it i a seperate frame or something. That hardly counts. I guess it would be a problem at 800x600, but does anyone use that nowdays?

In fact, here in the reply window, it looks great, all centered there at the bottom... Looking forward to seeing the site in action!

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 04:14:07 pm
1.     1024 x 768     57.38%
2.    800 x 600    18.23%
3.    1280 x 1024    14.18%
4.    1152 x 864    4.95%
5.    1600 x 1200    1.67%
6.    1280 x 800    1.56%
7.    1600 x 1024    0.55%

so a little under 20% of the people wouldn't be able to view my site properly.  But that 20% probably wouldn't be viewing my site in the first place since most of the art scene folks use higher res's.  I dunno - is that 20% worth shrinking my site?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 04:24:08 pm
1.     1024 x 768     57.38%
2.    800 x 600    18.23%
3.    1280 x 1024    14.18%
4.    1152 x 864    4.95%
5.    1600 x 1200    1.67%
6.    1280 x 800    1.56%
7.    1600 x 1024    0.55%

so a little under 20% of the people wouldn't be able to view my site properly.  But that 20% probably wouldn't be viewing my site in the first place since most of the art scene folks use higher res's.  I dunno - is that 20% worth shrinking my site?
I say no, personally Im sick of websites having to cater for people with lower resolutions, catering for people with slow connections I understand. but its their decision to use a small resolution that fucks up how some stuff looks
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 03:02:21 am
I don't have resolution problems, I just happen to keep my bookmarks tab always open which cuts off a hefty amount of space. But that's easily remedied.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 04:11:52 am
my apologies i was viewing on a 1024x768 screen, which does require scrolling at that size.  it views fine on 1280x1024!  About 20% of PC users will be able to view the site without scrollbars, while the other 80% will have to scroll.  It's really not that big a deal, but i would just keep in mind that artists don't hire artists.  HR people hire artists!

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 10:27:27 am
A bit of an update:
I started to fix a few of the things you guys have been mentioning, but most of my time has been spent converting this from a png image to an HTML doc.  as far as the screen res thing goes.  I decided to meet somewhere in the middle.  - i did make it smaller, but 800x600's are still gunna have to scroll around a bit, but not as much.  I made it exactly 800 pixels wide.  I also had the drop shadow thing in there, but i took it out just because i was picky and didn't want to go over 800.

anyway... started adding a tree....tried to brighten up the coins.....got rid of the box.....made the site....yup.....check it out.

www.Indigo.spriteart.com