AuthorTopic: Question about Isometric vs Topdown vs Sidescroller?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Question about Isometric vs Topdown vs Sidescroller?

on: August 25, 2012, 11:35:17 pm
So I saw a picture on another thread that explained the uses of Isometric and Topdown, but are there any other uses of Sidescrolling besides fighting games? I know Castlevania is a Side scroller but what about a 2D Tower defense game? I've seen top down tower defense, I don't think I've seen isometric tower defense games...

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Re: Question about Isometric vs Topdown vs Sidescroller?

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:03:39 pm
Many shoot'em up games have side scrolling; series like R-Type and Gradius are classic examples with a lot of scenery (rather than perfunctory starfields and ground like e.g. Defender).

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:05:03 pm
If plants vs zombies is sidescroll-y enough for you, that would be a tower defense game.
Starcraft is an isometric strategy game that has some tower defense games made for it though I am unsure why you limit yourself to such a niche genre here.
There is a multitude of uses for each perspective beyond tower defense games. The limit is your imagination.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 03:57:14 am
Yeah, I know what you're saying 9_6, I was just curious as to which would be more beneficial. I know in Orcs Must Die a lot of the tower defense is a lot slower because you have to travel by foot in order to get to the desired position. In StarCraft 2, your are in an Isometric perspective so you have a larger range and this time you don't have a character to move around.

but Orcs Must Die and StarCraft 2 are two different games, one is more Story driven and the other is extremely competitive. I guess the perspective that would work best for my game would be a 3rd person perspective since it would be a story driven game it will also allow the user to explore the landscapes a bit more as well.