AuthorTopic: Need inspiration for a steampunk weapon  (Read 10960 times)

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Need inspiration for a steampunk weapon

on: August 25, 2012, 11:13:41 am
Long time i don't posted (and don't worked on my game -_-)...

So right now i have a multifunction weapon for all the game.
It's a weapon with a main shoot : the green beamer and a 2e custom shoot wich can make flamethrower, missile launcher, smoke gaz etc
As it's a heavy weapon, it's flying and can allow hero to double jump or dash  like a jet pack

So it's the current wip

this is the part used to be the 2e shoot

Maybe i should add a visual change for each custom weapon like gatling, electric device, missile launcher etc

I'd like to make a proper design to symbolise well all options, pls make suggestions.
Also this weapon is as important as hero so i'd like to have a really cool design, but it's really hard to add lot of details on this small sprite.
I'm thinking to use gold, steel or copper materials + cable and classic steampunk component

All critics will be greats, thanks by advance

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: Need inspiration for a steampunk weapon

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:27:08 pm
I think it's a reasonably decent design, but some elements could use a bit of refinement
Ed:

the handles in particular are really thick and chunky, and the colour change is most likely personal preference, but I felt it was a bit bright and washed out, and if something is thin and metallic using reflection lines might push it more hope you find the edit helpful

I can clearly see the tesla coil functionality

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:10:55 pm
Thanks a lot Grimsane, you target a main problem of my work : lack of good details and light

this is an update ^^

well, after seeing my work and yours, i'm thinking i should use same color for the gold of chimney !

I try to change my color by change contrast and light, but it seams you changed other..

I like your skin color and steambag : less red color , so it's more brown

//edit ptoing: Please do not doublepost unless you have good reason to do so.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:30:14 pm by ptoing »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:05:43 pm
yeah I changed every colour, I used the colour curve editor to change the colour tone and values/contrast balance

also just reduced it down from 491 to 52 and did a gif for comparison, I think the thing you may notice is that before it was rather light and lacking in contrast, where I pushed the darks darker to create greater contrast and solidify the details, the details are more established, but I didn't really add too many. However my edit might be too dark for what you are aiming for, so here's an example of different brightnesses of it, it also depends on the tone and colours of your game. Whether you have overlay lighting would factor in too.

one method you could use to reinforce your dark tones is with level, the way to use it to reinforce darks would be something like this:

regarding the new iterations I think that vibrant gold is quite obnoxious, and just stands out unnaturally when compared to your other colour choices. some of the shine I feel is too contrasted and feels out of place with the matte style you had going, and also the new design is quite busy, I am assuming that grey component is one of the modular secondary fire attachments? I don't think it meshes very well

one suggestion would be along these lines

making sure it was more cohesive, and making it protrude past the end of the weapon would ensure it wasn't lost within the weapon and makes it look like it's attached to the side and not an odd part of the weapon

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:10:23 pm
Thanks Grimsane !

I reduced colors number and change lot of shape.
I used your suggestion for the beamer

I keep hand position because it's not 2 joysticks  ;D
I'm not very satisfied about skin color and steambag cable...

the 2e weapon design won't change when you upgrade, so i need a common design to be used with all "options"
i'd like to make 2 cylinders wich can throw flame, bullet, gaz etc in front of hero and 45° up

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 11:34:19 am
Long time without working on this !

Recently i decide to change the weapon concept to a "transformers" weapon.

I wanted to use a hammer to interact with buttons, so i recently had a shock with league of legend ^^

so this is my first step to made my special hammer :
5 specials stances will be made. For each , the head of the hammer will change.

Hammer

Missile launcher

Gatling

Laser : soon

Flamethrower : soon

with some edit to have a more consistant weapon

Maybe i can use the left hand to change the stance : we can see piston move left and right, so i could connect the left arm directly on the piston to have a "manual" change.
Or i keep an automatic change..
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:42:07 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:11:26 pm
hello back from long time with some sprite and questions  ;D

this the new evolution : the hammer (1) will be transformed in distance weapon : gatling(2), plasma (3), laser beam (4) , flamethrower (under construction).
the liquid is a special fluid named aether: it's state can be changed into solid, gaz or other  :D

here hammer in basic stance and current evolution stance

My main problem is the gold touch. my first approch seams to be more flat with lack of contrast.
My goldish test , based on a castelvania sprite need some advice to be polished.

As you can see, the hammer have some piece can be moved to change stance, thanks to give me your critics ^^
oh, and i had some problem to fix the arm on the back  :-[
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:13:20 pm by kriss »

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:23 pm
this is some researchs about shading and to complete the hammer

As you can see, the hammer is huge, so there is a kind of reactor. he can be activate to make a dash (of course legs will be change for "dash" stance)

I just change the head + hair, according to my search

i always try to keep the fewer colors as i can !

i'm thinking i'll have some trouble to make hammer attack sprite (cause of reactor...: hero will swing his hammer )

Thanks by advance for critics and sugestions

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:38:41 pm
I made an edit trying to simplify the colors and shading.
I think you are using too many and dithering too much and focusing on small details that makes it look noisy.

There is something odd about the anatomy, he looks kinda like a dwarf..
I attempted to change his posture a bit, but now it looks a bit boring instead..

(and now the smoke looks like ice cream, lol..)

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 09:39:17 pm
Thanks Seiseki !

I like the way you make hammer and steambag
Recently i thought the head is too much bigger than the corpse.. maybe it's why he's looks like a dwarf

focusing on small details that makes it look noisy.
It seams it's my worst default  :-[