AuthorTopic: GR#109 - Female Fighter Sprite - Sprite Process  (Read 15353 times)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Re: Female Assassin Sprite - (update: not assassin,just fighter)

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 11:59:37 am
My main point was that players/audiences are very forgiving about what you show them, as long as it looks interesting.

I'm not.  I hate impractical clothing, shoes, hairstyles on characters in video games (or anything else come to think of it), particularly the majority of japanese characters who like to go into battle looking like fashion disasters and ridiculous hair that surely prevents them getting through doorways.   Kinda knocks me out of getting into a game when it's clear the characters are obviously too concerned about looking 'good' than being practical.   Makes me think they're total idiots that deserve to die a painful death.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 12:39:10 pm
Cool.
I like girls.

Some messy edit:

This sprite is not playable, it just shows the condition of the 3D playable model. (idle, damaged, searching)
Multiple poses?
Or all from this one pose?
Shown on screen at all times?
Just curious.

I am using a ref. pic to draw this sprite, so this character isn't designed by me
Whats the ref look like?

holy cow! that's one amazing edit. I see a lot of new issue i was blind about. Thanks!

-From this pose, and as far as I know yes, shown on the screen all the time.

-about the ref, Im waiting for the owner to give me his permission :).

here is an update :
Be Like no other

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 02:40:16 pm
The owner gave the permission, and here is the ref :

She is actually a jinni turned into a human. YES! you heard it. & she is the hero's assistant.
Here is another update :
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:45:15 pm by hsn2555 »
Be Like no other

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 05:01:15 am

Did a bit of an edit. Also took your 89 colours down to 48 and decreased the vibrancy a bit, most those colours are not needed. and on some monitors I could see that vibrancy causing a fair bit of colour bleeding, and the ref you use has lower saturation anyway, also there is something about her right leg, I think the twist of the torso and the opposing twist of the leg is making it look awkward to me, either twisting the torso right (toward the viewer) or the leg slightly in the opposite direction, or half half, and just make sure the leg runs consistently to the hip joint would fix it, but I'm not sure if it's truly an issue or just me  :-\ or it might be the rear leg that's tilted too much... I'm not sure D: but it's something

as if the leg is disconnected from the hip. Also the hips are hard to establish whether they tilt in relation to the shoulders, they seem to. put together a quick animation to elaborate what I mean, and how shoulders and hips twist and pivot in relation to each other

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 02:51:49 pm
Ouch.  You have my sympathies with regard to the character design.  Animating all those tiny bits of costume?  Yuck.  Using a full body image just for displaying status?  Ugh.

Your latest version is better.  PixelPileDriver's edit incorporates an exaggerated hourglass figure which works well for the broad shoulders.  Another option would be to squeeze the shoulders and torso a bit.  Maybe erase 2-3 pixels from the back of the ribcage and move the shoulder in a pixel or so.  This would give you a small but fit frame.  Something like:

It's an option. (Pic is from a fitness blog, not mine)

I think the forearm is a bit too round.  Usually the muscles are bunched up near the elbow, and the half near the wrist is fairly straight.  Women don't really ever get Popeye forearms, even the bodybuilders.  I think it would be enough to straighten the parts covered by the wristband.  Maybe shrink the width by a pixel.

Grimsane: I don't quite agree with your critique.  I think the legs could be a couple of pixels longer, but any attempt to add tilt to the hips will probably get lost under the layers of clothing and the lines of those extra belts.  Twisting the hips would be lost with the shading of the skirt.  I don't think that sort of contrapposto would work well.  Maybe a dynamic pose with a strong line of action instead?

But really, if this is just for status, see if you can draw it from head to waist rather than full body.  You get more pixels to add an expression to the face, you can still show some cleavage if they want the titillation, and you don't have as many elements of the costume to worry about.

Tourist

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 08:32:08 am
Quote from: Tourist
Grimsane: I don't quite agree with your critique.  I think the legs could be a couple of pixels longer, but any attempt to add tilt to the hips will probably get lost under the layers of clothing and the lines of those extra belts.  Twisting the hips would be lost with the shading of the skirt.  I don't think that sort of contrapposto would work well.  Maybe a dynamic pose with a strong line of action instead?
??? just to clarify I didn't shorten the leg, or suggest shortening the leg. I didn't even adjust it, i only tweaked the arm and the colours and minor details, my anatomical suggestions was the bright coloured overlay, you'll notice the leg is in fact longer in the overlay. I didn't say add a hip tilt, I was questioning the actual tilting that was already happening, i was just finding it hard to read and was making sure the OP was aware of how shoulder and hips work in relation to each other. but I think it actually has decent tilting but as you pointed out it is obscured and offset by the costume elements

good photo reference especially for skeleton and muscles, and if you look at her right leg. it's exactly what I meant about anatomically possible leg twist, been studying anatomy and reproducing movement limitations and constraints and the leg twists/rotates inward and outward at the knee and feet.  working with meshes and skeletal rigs with realistic constraints you notice this

here is a crude visual example of what I mean, and while not dramatically so I think the assassin/fighter character does rotate laterally at the hip. To clarify our thighs rotate a bit as muscles are pulled and twisted relative to the bearing of the knee, but on it's own the hip is not really capable of lateral or medial rotation. not to get confused with pivotal rotation like shown slightly bottom left (our hips are capable high degrees of pivoting (in 3 dimensions), our shoulders are also pivoting joints and medial and lateral upper arm rotation is centric to the elbow)

example I found that should explain lateral and medial rotation well, essentially inward and outward rotation.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 03:08:46 am
My apologies, I read your post incorrectly.  I agree with your analysis of the hips and legs in the source image.   I also think the legs could be a couple of pixels longer, to be in better proportion with the arms.

Tourist