AuthorTopic: Slouching Mario - WIP, C+C  (Read 9448 times)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: Slouching Mario - WIP, C+C

Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 02:16:34 pm
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! Meanwhile, I did this:

Tried my hand on a basic, game-related background and changed the colours on Mario around a bit more. I wanted to highlight the pants somewhat to make them more distinct from the background, but the way I did it probably doesn't make sense. I'll try something else for the next update.

@Facet: That's a really cool Mario! I like how you successfully mix angularity and roundness in that piece. Yes, it's true that there could be more expression in Marios demeanor if I really want to convey his sadness. I hadn't thought about it before. I think that's because originally the intent wasn't actually to make a depressed Mario (rather, the intent was only to recreate Mario, but in my own style), but it evolved into kind of looking like that. So I went with it.

I had thought about adding in some green in the image too, 'cause like you say, it reminds me of the games. But I didn't 'cause I kind of didn't want to add more colours, for whatever ridiculous reason :P.

I'll stop worrying about the colour count and add whatever I need, make some more layers to the background, and change up the pants once more. I'll consider ways to add more expression to the character too.

Thanks again, guys!

update:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:40:23 pm by Charlieton »
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Slouching Mario - WIP, C+C

Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 07:17:24 pm
The blue tones and game-related background works better, imho, than the seaside. Matching the perspective is also important (it somehow felt out-of-place with the seaside).

One thing that looks imho missing so far in your latest update is the relationship between mario and the background. Has he played the level or is he about to play it ? Is he depressed by the challenge or still depressed after victory.

Baddies are completely absent from the background game scenes you put behind. Maybe a koopa wondering "why is he staying there ?" or remains of mario's activity (burnt flowers, broken bricks, flag brought down, flattened goombas and de-shelled koopas) could tell a bit more about the whole scene.