AuthorTopic: Small humanoid alien walking animation (WIP)  (Read 10138 times)

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Small humanoid alien walking animation (WIP)

on: August 21, 2012, 08:21:27 pm
Finally got around to draw and animate the main character for my Sokoban game. Some of you might remember it from an earlier thread.

What I got so far.

Frames:

Animated walking sideways:

In the game:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6534/zenmaingame.png

Surprised how well it looks inside the game, but I must admit, I did not work on it with that in mind. Maybe I will have to reduce his height by a row of pixels or two, though.

My problems? Well, I would like to be able to animate the movement of torso, but have no idea. Any tips?

Also, really having problems with animating such small sprites in a clean manner, with pixels of same color ending up touching. Hard to make for the leg in the "background" to pass behind the leg in "front" without ugly artifacts. Just failing to implement clarity and cleanness.

Any suggestions, critics and edits are more that welcomed. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:11:09 pm by Lachie Dazdarian »

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Re: Small humanoid alien walking animation (for a WIP game)

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:21:10 am
"My problems? Well, I would like to be able to animate the movement of torso, but have no idea. Any tips?"

Maybe you could try moving the shoulders forward and back with the arms.

Offline Stab

• I'M WILLOWS!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:55:06 am
First off, cool animation! It's very smooth and absolutely nothing seems wrong with it (which is saying one hell of a lot!)!

Second, do you have photoshop? There are some things you could see firsthand that graphics programs could help you see some generally good things you should be thinking about. Forgive me if you're not looking for any critique on your in-game screenshot, but it's there and you posted it and... well, I just can't help myself! If you'd like, here are a few things to think about

First off, values. In photoshop, there are a bunch of ways to look at this. One is to convert the whole image to greyscale so you're not getting confused by colours, and then to eyedropper your various darks and shadows and highlights to see what is actually the brightest. Values are extremely important, and while you can manipulate them to intentionally put very extreme values somewhere important, I don't get the feeling you're doing this! What I'm seeing is that your value ranges aren't consistent, and it's contributing to making everything look like they're under different lighting conditions or part of a different reality. Consistent values visually contribute to a consistent image! Need proof? Look around you! Failing that, do the same experiment on screenshots of your favorite games! There's a lot to learn in controlling values, and it's one of those things that actually takes forever to master... so you might as well start now!

(an easy "fix" that actually just lets you see more consistent values in action is to open the levels slider (default ctrl-L) in photoshop and slide the leftmost arrow about 1/3rd of the way to the right. It ends up looking like this: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/SaboteurGreg/Lachie_001.png... looks a little more consistent, right? For a literally 2 second edit, not a bad step in the right direction, no?)

Second, light sources. A simple criticism, but the light hitting the laser-emitting box seems to be coming from the bottom left, where the light on the wooden box is coming from above and left. The light on the rocks seems to be coming directly from above. Establishing a unified idea for your setting is important if you're making a bunch of things that are supposed to exist within it. Again, consistency is important, and that's one way to get there!

(also related to light sources and consistency: It's the same light hitting everything, right? Why is light interacting so differently with your character as it is with your boxes or the stone? It is definitely true that light interacts with different objects differently, but people have a subconscious visual understanding of how things should look, so if you're accidentally shading wood in a manner befitting of clay while having it look like wood, it will raise a visual conflict that people will feel as icky until they can redefine their understanding of the world to allow for this new world you're creating. This is why games like iji (http://www.indiegames.com/2008/09/freeware_game_pick_iji_daniel.html) can have SUPER simple graphics that don't necessarily obey the real world as we know it, but still follow enough "real world rules" for it to be visually understandable and do it SO DAMN CONSISTENTLY that it honestly feels like you're experiencing a graphical wonderworld even though any one screenshot isn't all that pretty.)

I hope that makes some sense! Again, the animation and character itself are super awesome! As a stand-alone, I honestly wouldn't have any crits. How it fits into its world could use a little bit of work, but honestly you're so far along in the right directions that it very likely isn't as much work as you'd think it is.

Cheers!

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:07:33 am
How about a little bounce? I am not sure if the head twisting is neccecary but you can make it less generic, and I think the arms can stay longer in their extended positions (long in front, long in back, middle is when they are moving so there you only see them for short. )

I did not edit the arm properly... however, I hope this is of any help.

Oh and at last, the feet are a bit weird and move weird on the ground. I could not find the quick fix though!

Good luck :)

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:07:06 pm
Thanks. Forgot about the body bounce completely. It works great. I will implement it!

I'll see what I can do with the arms as well.

I was hoping for more help on the legs. But maybe they are not rewarding to fix. :)

Anyway, hoping to find time to get back to this again soon. Will definitely try to polish this character. There is work to do on him.

Thanks for suggestions on colors Stab. I will definitely attempt to implement them. Not sure how much I can adopt advises on shadows, though. It might be a bit overwhelming for me to take it all into consideration at this point of my development. I want to get the game done.

BTW, I love Iji. Played Daniel's Hyper Princess Pitch? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJYFbJDkqs

Also awesome.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:10:44 pm by Lachie Dazdarian »

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:00:52 pm
For some reason, felt like a much better improvement in Graphics Gale:

Now not so sure, but I do think it's better. Close to completing this. Any more tips?

Gonna attempt him pushing a box next. All needed for the game.

EDIT:

Ok, I think this is even more better.

Some edits on the chest, and minor fixes on the legs.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:20:43 pm by Lachie Dazdarian »

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 09:48:25 am
I think you should keep the head steady, like hapiel said. In my edit I have also changed one of the legs in frame 2 and 6 to make it look a little faster. Also, both his legs are darker than the rest of his body. Is that shading or because his skin is darker there. If shading, maybe you could try only making his far leg dark.

I don't know why the eye's turned blue. It wasn't intended so please ignore it.  ::)

I hope this is usefull.

Toaster

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 03:21:39 pm
The chest you made works :). Also, if you want to keep the head turning I suggest you look again closely to what I have done to the head!

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 04:10:20 pm
I would drop the head turning. In my opinion it ruins otherwise good animations more often than not. It is, of course, also completely unnatural.
Head turning makes me think he is walking alongside a long line of naked women so with each step he furtively glances in that direction and quickly regains focus forward.

Also, you said you forgot about the body bounce.
You should try to not think of it as the body bounce, but rather think of it as absolutely necessary to keep the correct proportions of the legs. When legs bend the absolute height of the head has to decrease or the body would grow longer midstep.

Overall I really dig the style, though.

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 08:11:45 pm
hapiel, his head is turned for a longer period of time? I'll try that.

toaster, I'll explore your new frames.

Legs are darker on purpose. I think it gives the character more color dynamic.

I think I'm going to keep the head turning, despite it not looking "realistic". I'm going with comic style in my game and I want him to be a bit silly and swaggerish. Anyway, I'm making a single screen puzzle game with stages not representing some realistic place (room), although there are few graphical themes (jungle, space station, ...).

Thanks for you input so far. Continuing with new frames, like pushing boxes. Still on stickman skeleton for this part...

It's going slow, but the main character sprites are the integral part of game graphics, especially in my project where there aren't any other characters (at least animated), so that makes sense.