AuthorTopic: IMPORTANT! Server move, forum upgrade, stuff.. you know...  (Read 7174 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: IMPORTANT! Server move, forum upgrade, stuff.. you know...

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 03:42:39 am
Nice effort, Grim. I like it's darkness. Though I do find it a bit too earthy/muddy.

I would like for there to be obvious pixel art inspired graphics worked into the skin. Mias skin did that. Even used some neat (although slightly broken) fuax isometric effects. I can't wait for it to be back.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 11:52:33 pm
Can't you like, set the themes up so they are user selectable? I still prefer this vanilla theme to the old one...

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 02:23:44 am
We have quite a few plans as to what we are gonna do with Pixelation in the year to come (which I wont reveal here yet), but for that keeping the vanilla skin might be a bit unsuited. BUT, I am working on a new skin atm, which is only a bit inspired by miascugh's most recent one. The new one won't have many, if any, icons, but rather it will have nice pixelfont buttons.

And I am also planning on making a bunch of colour variations of the theme, which people will be able to pick for themselves. So I will do something that is close to this default theme in colour as well, for those who like it very bright.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:08:44 am by Crow »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 04:58:27 pm
Cool! Make a pixelation.swoo.net theme!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 05:07:18 pm
Haha, the colours on that were attrocious.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 09:30:38 pm
sorry for cluttering this thread  :blind:
index
thread <check this one out it's the most relevant
some iterations:

I downloaded the SMF (simple machine forums) forum pack and check all the theme files and saw some of the things that'd be do-able without additional CSS so most if not all of what I did is just reskin colour change stuff, the old buttons would be an exception, and more there for checking out how consistent my colours were with the old skin, and the dash is omitted.

some of the elements I played around with

<it fits the current formating of all the index headings, and fits that just as well, not sure about Post reply Topic Summary etc, so it's probably not worth doing

more toward modern styling than anything I guess, and well it was fun but I'll stop now, served it's purpose to test my ability

@mathias thanks for the feedback, I did kinda feel the same and updated that in the dump in the OT thread, this is a bit more than that

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 03:38:16 am
Wow, you're making an actual skin, huh? Nice! Thought you were just Photoshopping around.

If you're having fun learning, that's great, be beware that ptoing and the other admins are highly unlikely to actually utilize your creations. But, they are cool to see. Why not go out on a limb and really depart from that typical design aesthetic. Make something loco. Might spark some good ideas.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 04:48:07 am
Would it be possible to have a color neutral, i.e. a gray skin? :D

Also, something that would be awesome would be if you could do [bg=black][/bg] to get a large black frame around the image, since you know some art is supposed to be on a dark bg and others on a bright one, if it's an asset for a game.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 08:06:53 am
Would it be possible to have a color neutral, i.e. a gray skin? :D

Also, something that would be awesome would be if you could do [bg=black][/bg] to get a large black frame around the image, since you know some art is supposed to be on a dark bg and others on a bright one, if it's an asset for a game.

The skin that's being worked on right now is rather neutral, I'd say. There will also be different colored versions of that to choose from. I like the background tag idea though, I'll keep that in mind :)
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 10:42:04 am
Wow, you're making an actual skin, huh? Nice! Thought you were just Photoshopping around.

If you're having fun learning, that's great, be beware that ptoing and the other admins are highly unlikely to actually utilize your creations. But, they are cool to see. Why not go out on a limb and really depart from that typical design aesthetic. Make something loco. Might spark some good ideas.

yeah but not on a CSS level, just creating it within spec. there is a quite useful theme site that allows you to upload the SMF folder and adjust the colours and it'll do it to every asset instantly taking alot of tedium out of the process. and yeah I was aware of that when I started but figured it'd be a great skin to motivate myself to do. and sure why not I could work a bit more on themes when I have time and dump some in the OT thread, been designing my own website too but It's a long while before I get a domain. I also researched some free sites that have customizable layouts and graphic elements etc, might manage to get a decent portfolio site up for free with some decent custom elements

the entire post frame? that would be cool