AuthorTopic: Thoughts on Minecraft texture packs as pixel art?  (Read 5235 times)

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Thoughts on Minecraft texture packs as pixel art?

on: August 20, 2012, 06:57:05 pm
I'm really in to making texture packs for minecraft (Never finish them but tend to make a lot of textures) and, suprisingly, I didn't even know that pixel art existed! I always used filters and what-not to make packs for minecraft, but pixel art stole my heart and I changed my way. Now, the real reason I made this topic was to ask; Do you think it deserves to be posted on this forum? Do you feel it really counts as "pixel art" (I have seen many a people say they don't)? Do you think that when viewing textures in minecraft it's worth making them pixel art?

I think that if you utlize pixel art techniques whilst making the textures, the pack tends to look better. However that's just my opinion, and I want to gather more.

Here's some examples of my textures, in-case you wanted to see and ,If you don't know what minecraft  is, to show you examples:

This one I tried to use 3 colours epr texture, however some required to have up to 6.

This one I was far more generous with colours, but I liked the end result :)

None of the textures above tile because I made them in a livestream and didnt want to bore people by tweaking them. :)

(Is there a type of code simillar to a "
" code on here?)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Thoughts on Minecraft texture packs as pixel art?

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:40:36 pm
Whether it "deserves" to be posted or not depends on whether or not you want and are accepting of critique. These forums aren't for showcasing, but rather for getting input from other pixel artists.

I have posted my pack here before and got a lot of help with quite a bit of trouble I was having with certain things, so it was most certainly worth my time.

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:43:21 pm
I expected a post from you Dusty, I saw your thread and love your pack. :3
I for one posted one of my (Terrible) WIP packs on here and found it a great help, but then my skill got better much faster then I expected and I ended up scrapping those textures altogether.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:51:30 pm
I made MLP texture pack for minecraft a while back, that I continue to update each patch.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1049464-%e2%99%a5-mlp-pack-%e2%99%a5-131-wip-updated-9th-august/

I've never posted it here because I still consider it quite rough.

If it looks like pixel art and is made by pixel art techniques then yes, it's pixel art.
Just because the graphics are used in 3D doesn't make it less true.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:37 pm
I expected a post from you Dusty, I saw your thread and love your pack. :3
I for one posted one of my (Terrible) WIP packs on here and found it a great help, but then my skill got better much faster then I expected and I ended up scrapping those textures altogether.

That's fine too. I also ended up eventually doing the same thing and it's not surprising considering just how much work it takes to complete a texture pack. I've been working on mines for years and I still haven't finished it, and over those years my techniques/skill/style has changed dramatically and my texture pack has reflected that so I ended up starting a "2.0" version with major overhauls to better fit my newer styles.

I'm not sure if a new thread would compliment such change more than a bump, but a bump might help others appreciate your progress/change and provide them with more insight when critiquing.

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:38 pm
I made MLP texture pack for minecraft a while back, that I continue to update each patch.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1049464-%e2%99%a5-mlp-pack-%e2%99%a5-131-wip-updated-9th-august/

I've never posted it here because I still consider it quite rough.

If it looks like pixel art and is made by pixel art techniques then yes, it's pixel art.
Just because the graphics are used in 3D doesn't make it less true.

Is your Minecraft forum name the same? I never knew it was you who made this!

And good point. Now my question; "Why would others think otherwise?"

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:33:16 am
Is your Minecraft forum name the same? I never knew it was you who made this!

And good point. Now my question; "Why would others think otherwise?"

Yes :)

And I'm not sure whom these "others" are :D

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:28:11 am
I saw someone say something along the lines of: "These don't count as real pixel art. It's a texture pack lol."

Maybe they jsut weren't the brightest...

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:03:04 pm
I saw someone say something along the lines of: "These don't count as real pixel art. It's a texture pack lol."

Maybe they jsut weren't the brightest...

Yeah, apparently he has his own definition of "real" pixel art.